Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Burning Questions: Why do men have nipples and what purpose do these body parts serve?
FOR today’s burning question we’re asking you to get something off your chest and tell us why men have nipples.
Just about everything else on and in the human body has been made to serve some purpose so why hasn’t nature caught up with the fact these appendages are useless on men?
Scientific explanations suggest it’s all to do with the common pattern we are built to, that nipples are a leftover sign of all mammals starting off as females and it’s too late for them to just disappear on males after the sex of a baby is determined.
But if all this is correct why do men still have fully-grown nipples complete with nerves and blood vessels while their formation is stunted on other male animals?
If God created mankind and made Adam first why did he put nipples on him?
Other than acting as rudimentary thermometers, do male mammillae actually do anything useful?
Add your suggestions below.
Our Burning Questions feature aims to settle some of life’s perennial arguments and answer some of its little mysteries with readers’ collective knowledge.
We’d love your suggestions for arguments and questions you’d like us to cover. What are the things that make you go hmmm? Add your comments below or email us
- What's the right way to hang a toilet roll? Should flap be under or over, in our out?
- What are your favourite Christmas pop songs and the festive tunes you hate?
- Self-serve checkouts in supermarkets: Are they good or evil?
- Tea vs coffee - what's the best morning wake-up drink?
- Is it OK to go to the cinema on your own? What about out for a meal or to a gig by yourself?
Comments are closed on this article.