Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Deptford marchers call for return of high street anchor
ANGRY Deptford people marched through the streets at the weekend with a giant cardboard anchor, calling for the real one's return.
Anchor Fest also called for the restoration of The Kings Yard, part of the historic Royal Docks, to enable the construction of a fully-working replica of The Lenox, 17th century warship.
David Aylward of The Lenox project said: "We’re trying to raise awareness that the anchor disappeared with no real consultation as to where it should go and only because street drinkers gathered around it. "
He went on: "The anchor is the only visual symbol left of Deptford’s maritime heritage and basically the groundswell of opinion is that we want it back."
A Lewisham Council spokesman said: "The anchor is currently in temporary storage at Convoy’s Wharf. A decision has not yet been made about its permanent relocation."
- Greenwich parents urged to sign kids up for free school meals
- TOWIE star Chloe Sims on Christmas with Joey Essex and New Year's resolutions ahead of Bluewater appearance
- Swancombe residents breathe a sigh of relief at Thames crossing decision
- Gravesend man jailed for cocaine dealing
- Bexley star Sam Bailey says X Factor has already changed her life
Comments are closed on this article.