Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Stars lead tribute to Stephen Lawrence in Greenwich
RITA Ora, Beverley Knight and Jessie J led a star-studded concert in Greenwich held in memory of murdered teenager Stephen Lawrence.
They were joined by Emeli Sande, Ellie Goulding and Ed Sheeran for a tribute performance 20 years after the 18-year-old was killed in a racist attack as he waited for a bus in Eltham.
Unity - A Concert for Stephen Lawrence was also featured performances from Rizzle Kicks and Jamie Cullum.
Stephen's mother Doreen, who accepted a peerage this year for her tireless campaigning, said her son would be "smiling down" on the show this evening.
"He would have loved this because he really loved music," she said.
"I would like Stephen to be remembered as a young man who had a future.
"He was well loved, and had he been given the chance to survive maybe he would have been the one to bridge the gap between black and white because he didn't distinguish between black or white. He saw people as people."
Yesterday's concert the O2 Arena was designed to unite communities and draw people of all backgrounds together through music.
It saw artists select tracks chosen for their social message.
Funds from the show will go to The Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust which aims to create brighter futures for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- McBusted, Backstreet Boys and Neil Young announced for British Summertime at Hyde Park
- Plaque to celebrate Dartford meeting of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
- Gravesend X Factor star Tamera Foster 'gutted' about show exit but future is 'exciting'
- Vibe asks Gravesend X Factor star Tamera Foster questions you never knew needed asking
- What are your favourite Christmas pop songs and the festive tunes you hate?
Comments are closed on this article.