Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Woolwich attack: Soldier Lee Rigby murder accused in court
THE two men accused of murdering soldier Lee Rigby in Woolwich will appear in court today.
Michael Adebolajo, 28, from Romford, Essex, and Michael Adebowale, 22, from Greenwich, are charged with killing Fusilier Rigby as he returned to Woolwich barracks on May 22.
The father of one died from multiple cut and stab wounds when he was attacked in Artillery Place.
Adebolajo and Adebowale are expected to appear via videolink at the Old Bailey today for a plea and case management hearing, and a preparatory hearing.
Adebolajo is also accused of the attempted murder of two police officers and possession of a firearm - a 9.4mm KNIL model 91 revolver - with intent to cause others to believe that violence would be used. He has asked to be known as Mujaahid Abu Hamza in court.
He claimed that he was attacked by prison guards while being held on remand at high-security jail Belmarsh, and lost two teeth while he was restrained.
The Prison Officers' Association insisted that the staff had used only approved techniques.
- Greenwich parents urged to sign kids up for free school meals
- TOWIE star Chloe Sims on Christmas with Joey Essex and New Year's resolutions ahead of Bluewater appearance
- Swancombe residents breathe a sigh of relief at Thames crossing decision
- Gravesend man jailed for cocaine dealing
- Bexley star Sam Bailey says X Factor has already changed her life