Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
New Cross Bupa Manley Court care home slammed by inspectors
A NEW CROSS care home that left patients unassisted in beds for up to 12 hours and failed to monitor their fluid intake has been ordered to make immediate improvements.
An unannounced visit by inspectors to Manley Court care home on July 23 prompted the Care Quality Commission to issue a formal warning to Bupa Care Homes, which runs the John Williams Close facility.
In its report the CQC stated: "There were not enough qualified, skilled and experienced staff to meet the people’s needs".
It detailed how bedbound patients were not checked by staff to ensure their sheets were clean and dry, while one patient may not have been given regular turnings in bed, leaving them at risk of pressure ulcers.
Another was left without a call bell, so was not able to ask for help if needed.
Shockingly, the CQC found a patient who did not receive their prescribed food because the agency night nurse did not know how to administer it through a feeding tube.
Several patients’ fluids were not being properly checked, one had been left unshaven for numerous days and another's nails were not cleaned and left dirty, the inspectors said
Now Bupa has been warned it must improve services and the CQC is expected to make another unannounced visit to ensure steps have been taken.
Bupa director of partnerships Vivienne Birch said: "The health and wellbeing of our residents is our absolute priority and we have taken immediate action, including a review of all care plans for the residents in the home and introduced further training for all staff on the unit identified in the report.
"We are confident the action plan we have given the CQC will ensure high standards of care are achieved and maintained."
Comments are closed on this article.