Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Lewisham carers celebrated with 25th anniversary tea party by MP
CARERS who provide a “life-line” in Lewisham were celebrated with an afternoon tea hosted by MP Heidi Alexander.
The tea party marked the 25th anniversary of charity Carers Lewisham which supports those caring for friends and relatives with mental and physical illnesses.
The fundraising event saw Mayor of Lewisham Sir Steve Bullock, local faith leaders, councillors and charity members take tea at Catford’s Talent Factory on August 30.
MP for Lewisham East Heidi Alexander said: “During my time in Parliament I have met with a variety of carers whose huge contribution to society often goes unrecognised and who struggle to get the assistance that they need.
“For them, Carers Lewisham provides a life-line.
“I was delighted to host an afternoon tea to raise much-needed funds for Carers Lewisham so that they can continue supporting our carers for the next 25 years.”
There are around 22,000 carers in Lewisham and the charity is fundraising to support them with its anniversary project Challenge 25.
Chief executive of Carers Lewisham Diana Jones Chief Executive of Carers Lewisham said: “We are really grateful to Heidi for organising this event and for her support of carers and Carers Lewisham since becoming one of our local MPs.”
The event raised £150 with cakes made and donated by Hither Green café Rhubarb and Custard.
- Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul talks to News Shopper about new film Need for Speed
- Heartless thieves steal Greenwich & Bexley Community Hospice van from Welling
- Udder madness? 'Secret' proposal to use Lewisham's largest park to graze cows
- Man accused of Petts Wood kidnapping to appear at Croydon Crown Court
- Two youths arrested in Orpington after police see them firing a powerful catapult at birds
Comments are closed on this article.