Are UFO sightings dismissed too quickly? Have your say

A photograph apparently showing a 'UFO' near Stonehenge, Wiltshire

A photograph apparently showing a 'UFO' near Stonehenge, Wiltshire

First published in News

WITH the truth of why the Ministry of Defence closed its UFO desk in 2009 now being out there, we ask if strange sightings are taken seriously enough.

It has been revealed the decision to close the desk, and its accompanying UFO ‘hotline’;, was taken because it served "no defence purpose" and was taking staff away from "more valuable defence-related activities".

In a briefing for then defence minister Bob Ainsworth in November 2009, Carl Mantell, of the RAF's Air Command, said that in more than 50 years "no UFO sighting reported to (MoD) has ever revealed anything to suggest an extra-terrestrial presence or military threat to the UK".

The information comes as 25 files are released by the National Archives covering the work carried out in the final two years of the MoD's UFO desk, from late 2007 until November 2009. They include accounts of alleged abductions and contact with aliens and UFO sightings near UK landmarks.

Usually stories about strange objects seen in the sky are greeted with derision and ridicule, as this recent article about something odd seen over Bromley illustrates.

However, are people too quick to mock others who report unidentified flying objects? Can the subject ever be taken seriously or will people who claim to have seen UFOs always be dismissed as crazy?

While most sightings are given plausible explanations, some remain mysteries. Do you believe there might actually be alien life out there somewhere? How do you think we might one day discover its existence? Add your comments below.

Blackwall Tunnel blocked by portable toilet

News Shopper: CRIMINAL DAMAGE: Broken toilet. (10066905)

4:16pm Thursday 18th December 2014

Drivers were loo-sing their minds with frustration this afternoon after delays at the Blackwall Tunnel - all due to a portable toilet.

VIDEO: See Erasure singalong at Tube station - what surprise moments have made you smile?

News Shopper:

10:06am Wednesday 17th December 2014

Video of an Erasure fan starting an impromptu singalong at a London Underground station has gone viral – have you seen anything more fun or strange than this on your travels?

Clucking madness! Could fried chicken fears cancel Forest Hill poultry party?

News Shopper: Recipe: Chobani oven-fried chicken

12:04pm Friday 12th December 2014

Plans to stop New Year's Eve revellers in Forest Hill from gorging themselves on fried chicken due to crime fears have been branded clucking madness.

Have you spotted pig on its walkies in Blackheath?

News Shopper:

3:34pm Friday 5th December 2014

Several disgruntled walkers have spotted a pot-bellied pig being walked on a lead in Greenwich and Blackheath.

Yikes! Rare toxic spider from Australia discovered in Dartford road

News Shopper:

10:17am Tuesday 2nd December 2014

A rare breeds dealer has revealed the shocking discovery of a toxic spider from Australia - on a road in Dartford.

What are the 7 weirdest things left behind on National Express coaches?

News Shopper: Sang smuggled the drugs on a National Express coach

7:00am Tuesday 2nd December 2014

A list of the most bizarre items left on coaches has been released, showing how some people go the extra mile on forgetfulness beyond the usual mobile phones and keys.

Apollo to Wren: 14 of the most unusual baby names in the UK during 2014

News Shopper:

12:10pm Monday 1st December 2014

Would you dream of naming your child Hendrix or Genesis? Some parents have chosen very unusual names in 2014.

'I'm not a nutter' - Blackheath man uses sign to search for Suzy

News Shopper:

12:07pm Monday 24th November 2014

A mysterious man has left notices around Blackheath to trace a woman he was talking to "before the police turned up".

Woolwich man allegedly scammed by faith healers following 'black magic curse'

News Shopper:

1:14pm Friday 21st November 2014

A Woolwich man has claimed he was scammed out of more than £600 by two Indian faith healers he visited after worshippers of a Sikh temple put a “black magic curse” on him.

9 amazingly weird things we learnt about south east Londoners from YouGov profiles

News Shopper:

2:20pm Tuesday 18th November 2014

Are you a woman aged 18 to 24, with a socialist leaning and a hankering for barbecue ribs? Great, we’ve found you, you’re the typical News Shopper reader.

Comments (34)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:15pm Fri 21 Jun 13

bnorther says...

People who see UFOs are not crazy. UFO just means Unidentified.

It people who claim they are Aliens that are crazy.

The nearest star system to us is the Alpha Centauri A&B system. It's 25,630,807,359,843 miles away.

The furthest any man made craft has traveled it Voyager 1. It max speed relative to earth was 38,609 mph.

So, it would take that craft nearly 76,000 years to get just there (note rough calculation, not even considering Universe expansion!).

So the chances of being an Alien are slim, the distances are just too great.

Is there Alien life form out there? Probably. Look at the stats and the Drake Equation. Will we ever meet them? Unlikely.
People who see UFOs are not crazy. UFO just means Unidentified. It people who claim they are Aliens that are crazy. The nearest star system to us is the Alpha Centauri A&B system. It's 25,630,807,359,843 miles away. The furthest any man made craft has traveled it Voyager 1. It max speed relative to earth was 38,609 mph. So, it would take that craft nearly 76,000 years to get just there (note rough calculation, not even considering Universe expansion!). So the chances of being an Alien are slim, the distances are just too great. Is there Alien life form out there? Probably. Look at the stats and the Drake Equation. Will we ever meet them? Unlikely. bnorther
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Fri 21 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

Perhaps if one landed, and I could see it and touch it, THEN I might believe it!

They never seem to flyover populated areas in day light at peak times.

So to all you loony's who think you been abducted, you haven't!
Perhaps if one landed, and I could see it and touch it, THEN I might believe it! They never seem to flyover populated areas in day light at peak times. So to all you loony's who think you been abducted, you haven't! nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

4:13pm Fri 21 Jun 13

PaulErith says...

bnorther wrote:
People who see UFOs are not crazy. UFO just means Unidentified. It people who claim they are Aliens that are crazy. The nearest star system to us is the Alpha Centauri A&B system. It's 25,630,807,359,843 miles away. The furthest any man made craft has traveled it Voyager 1. It max speed relative to earth was 38,609 mph. So, it would take that craft nearly 76,000 years to get just there (note rough calculation, not even considering Universe expansion!). So the chances of being an Alien are slim, the distances are just too great. Is there Alien life form out there? Probably. Look at the stats and the Drake Equation. Will we ever meet them? Unlikely.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe aliens have been to Earth. However, you can't dismiss it on the basis of distance. The key point is that you mentioned "man made". If there were some form of alien in another galaxy, they could be a totally different form to us. They could be light form and able to travel at speed of light.
[quote][p][bold]bnorther[/bold] wrote: People who see UFOs are not crazy. UFO just means Unidentified. It people who claim they are Aliens that are crazy. The nearest star system to us is the Alpha Centauri A&B system. It's 25,630,807,359,843 miles away. The furthest any man made craft has traveled it Voyager 1. It max speed relative to earth was 38,609 mph. So, it would take that craft nearly 76,000 years to get just there (note rough calculation, not even considering Universe expansion!). So the chances of being an Alien are slim, the distances are just too great. Is there Alien life form out there? Probably. Look at the stats and the Drake Equation. Will we ever meet them? Unlikely.[/p][/quote]Don't get me wrong, I don't believe aliens have been to Earth. However, you can't dismiss it on the basis of distance. The key point is that you mentioned "man made". If there were some form of alien in another galaxy, they could be a totally different form to us. They could be light form and able to travel at speed of light. PaulErith
  • Score: 0

4:39pm Fri 21 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

can you explain how would they accelerate? and how would they decelerate? without disappearing into a flash of energy.
can you explain how would they accelerate? and how would they decelerate? without disappearing into a flash of energy. nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

4:57pm Fri 21 Jun 13

PaulErith says...

Don't start getting technical! :-) I haven't thought it through fully!
Don't start getting technical! :-) I haven't thought it through fully! PaulErith
  • Score: 0

10:21pm Fri 21 Jun 13

Mark Lawes says...

Would it be fair to say that 150 years ago the thought that we could travel around the world in less than 6 months just seemed impossible and extremely unlikely to ever become possible. Yet here we are traveling around the earth in 92 minutes on a space station. So in1000 years from now what new physics will mankind have discovered, what possibilities that seem unthinkable right now will be old news 100 years from now. Why would we be the first intelligent life in the galaxy, what if there is Alien life that started on the route to intelligence 100 years,10,000 years, 1 million years or even a billion years before us. Would they not by now have developed a way or perhaps discovered some natural bridge between stars across the galaxy that just seem inconceivable to us now?
I cannot believe that intelligent people cannot grasp this and accept that they are visiting us right now. Its frustrating for the millions of people that already know and accept this fact when our governments will not confirm this regardless of how little they have learned themselves they still know that this is happening but refuse to make comment. ( even though David Cameron promised he would before becoming prime minister).
Would it be fair to say that 150 years ago the thought that we could travel around the world in less than 6 months just seemed impossible and extremely unlikely to ever become possible. Yet here we are traveling around the earth in 92 minutes on a space station. So in1000 years from now what new physics will mankind have discovered, what possibilities that seem unthinkable right now will be old news 100 years from now. Why would we be the first intelligent life in the galaxy, what if there is Alien life that started on the route to intelligence 100 years,10,000 years, 1 million years or even a billion years before us. Would they not by now have developed a way or perhaps discovered some natural bridge between stars across the galaxy that just seem inconceivable to us now? I cannot believe that intelligent people cannot grasp this and accept that they are visiting us right now. Its frustrating for the millions of people that already know and accept this fact when our governments will not confirm this regardless of how little they have learned themselves they still know that this is happening but refuse to make comment. ( even though David Cameron promised he would before becoming prime minister). Mark Lawes
  • Score: 0

7:47am Sat 22 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence!

Their is NO evidence!.

E=mc2 is an absolute, its the same on Mars, Alpha Centauri, anywhere so the phyics are known. They can only breakdown at the point of a Black hole/big bang.


Seth Rostik at SETI has spent 30yrs
with the Very Large Array looking for
radio signals and apart from one signal
called WOW(look it up) has found
NOTHING!

If i can see it, touch it , measure it then i will belive it! other than that all you have is a faith based system.

Govt can not release evidence they havent got!
extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence! Their is NO evidence!. E=mc2 is an absolute, its the same on Mars, Alpha Centauri, anywhere so the phyics are known. They can only breakdown at the point of a Black hole/big bang. Seth Rostik at SETI has spent 30yrs with the Very Large Array looking for radio signals and apart from one signal called WOW(look it up) has found NOTHING! If i can see it, touch it , measure it then i will belive it! other than that all you have is a faith based system. Govt can not release evidence they havent got! nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

9:52am Sat 22 Jun 13

the bible scoffer says...

...perhaps it is the old 'failed' erastus piggott blog floating around!! rofl!!
...perhaps it is the old 'failed' erastus piggott blog floating around!! rofl!! the bible scoffer
  • Score: 0

10:23am Sat 22 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

No mate, i am not Mr Piggot

I have seen of your post before,
and if i was as thick as you i would keep my mouth shut
No mate, i am not Mr Piggot I have seen of your post before, and if i was as thick as you i would keep my mouth shut nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

8:15pm Sat 22 Jun 13

Mark Lawes says...

To "nearly right all the time"

Just because you cant see it, touch it or measure it does not mean something does not exist ! If you were in the deepest depths of the Amazon and you or any of your tribe had never met anyone from the outside world, would this mean that electricity, flight, lasers, etc etc etc, do not exist ? Whilst our known Physics are possibly 99% correct, the 1% could potentially turn that 99% on its head one day.
I have studied the subject of UFO's and ET seriously for the last 35 years, I cannot show you any physical evidence to prove there existence, this does not prove that they are here or not here !
It is however widely accepted that if all the evidence that there is was produced in a court of Law, then the only correct decision would be in favour of UFO/ET interaction on Earth taking place right now. (you don't need a body to prove murder).
I accept that you do not believe, and everybody else that does not believe spend a year looking into the subject and see if you change your mind at the end of it. It will blow your mind when you realize that not all is as you thought !!
To "nearly right all the time" Just because you cant see it, touch it or measure it does not mean something does not exist ! If you were in the deepest depths of the Amazon and you or any of your tribe had never met anyone from the outside world, would this mean that electricity, flight, lasers, etc etc etc, do not exist ? Whilst our known Physics are possibly 99% correct, the 1% could potentially turn that 99% on its head one day. I have studied the subject of UFO's and ET seriously for the last 35 years, I cannot show you any physical evidence to prove there existence, this does not prove that they are here or not here ! It is however widely accepted that if all the evidence that there is was produced in a court of Law, then the only correct decision would be in favour of UFO/ET interaction on Earth taking place right now. (you don't need a body to prove murder). I accept that you do not believe, and everybody else that does not believe spend a year looking into the subject and see if you change your mind at the end of it. It will blow your mind when you realize that not all is as you thought !! Mark Lawes
  • Score: 0

9:13pm Sat 22 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

Mr Lawes,

what you have is a belief system, nothing wrong with that,

But you make extraordinary claims!
if you produce one piece of evidence
physical, intellectual, I will be the first to say I was wrong.

I have never seen a tribesman from the
rainforest, but I have seen the evidence of them ,,,which I can see and touch
Mr Lawes, what you have is a belief system, nothing wrong with that, But you make extraordinary claims! if you produce one piece of evidence physical, intellectual, I will be the first to say I was wrong. I have never seen a tribesman from the rainforest, but I have seen the evidence of them ,,,which I can see and touch nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

9:33pm Sat 22 Jun 13

Mark Lawes says...

Just a few comments on record from people you would expect to know the truth...

"I can assure you that flying saucers, given that they exist, are not constructed by any power on earth"
--President Harry S. Truman

"The US Airforce assures me that UFO's pose no threat to National Security.."
--President John F Kennedy

"I strongly recommend that there be a committee investigation of the UFO phenomena. I think we owe it to the people to establish credibility regarding UFOs and to produce the greatest possible enlightenment on this subject"
--President Gerald Ford (1966)

"I don't laugh at people any more when they say they've seen UFOs. I've seen one myself!"
--President Jimmy Carter (1976)

"I looked out the window and saw this white light.It was zigzagging around. I went up to the pilot and said,Have you ever seen anything like that? He was shocked and he said, "Nope." And I said to him: "Let's follow it!" We followed it for several minutes. It was a bright white light.We followed it to Bakersfield, and all of a sudden to our utter amazement it went straight up into the heavens. When I got off the plane I told Nancy all about it."
--President Ronald Reagen

"The phenomenon of UFOs does exist, and it must be treated seriously."
--Mikhail Gorbachev

"I think about how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world. And I ask you, does not this threat alread exsist?"
--President Ronald Reagen UN address

"I'm not at liberty to discuss the governments knowledge of extraterrestrial UFO's at this time. I am still personally being briefed on the subject!"
--President Richard M. Nixon


"Extraterrestrial contact is a real phenomenon. The Vatican is receiving much information about extraterrestrials and their contacts with humans from its Nuncios (embassies) in various countries, such as Mexico, Chile and Venezuela."
-- Monsignor Corrado Balducci

"Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist. In the vastness of the Universe we are not alone."
-- Albert Einstein

"Of course it is possible that UFO's really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the Government is hushing it up."
--Professor Stephen Hawking

"Mission control, We have a UFO pacing our position, request instructions!"
-- Astronaut Cady Coleman

"In my official status, I cannot comment on ET contact. However, personally, I can assure you, we are not alone!
--Charles J. Camarda (Ph.D.) NASA Astronaut

"All Apollo and Gemini flights were followed, both at a distance and sometimes also quite closely, by space vehicles of extraterrestrial origin - flying saucers, or UFOs, if you want to call them by that name. Every time it occurred, the astronauts informed Mission Control, who then ordered absolute silence."
--Maurice Chatelain, former chief of NASA Communications Systems.
Just a few comments on record from people you would expect to know the truth... "I can assure you that flying saucers, given that they exist, are not constructed by any power on earth" --President Harry S. Truman "The US Airforce assures me that UFO's pose no threat to National Security.." --President John F Kennedy "I strongly recommend that there be a committee investigation of the UFO phenomena. I think we owe it to the people to establish credibility regarding UFOs and to produce the greatest possible enlightenment on this subject" --President Gerald Ford (1966) "I don't laugh at people any more when they say they've seen UFOs. I've seen one myself!" --President Jimmy Carter (1976) "I looked out the window and saw this white light.It was zigzagging around. I went up to the pilot and said,Have you ever seen anything like that? He was shocked and he said, "Nope." And I said to him: "Let's follow it!" We followed it for several minutes. It was a bright white light.We followed it to Bakersfield, and all of a sudden to our utter amazement it went straight up into the heavens. When I got off the plane I told Nancy all about it." --President Ronald Reagen "The phenomenon of UFOs does exist, and it must be treated seriously." --Mikhail Gorbachev "I think about how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world. And I ask you, does not this threat alread exsist?" --President Ronald Reagen UN address "I'm not at liberty to discuss the governments knowledge of extraterrestrial UFO's at this time. I am still personally being briefed on the subject!" --President Richard M. Nixon "Extraterrestrial contact is a real phenomenon. The Vatican is receiving much information about extraterrestrials and their contacts with humans from its Nuncios (embassies) in various countries, such as Mexico, Chile and Venezuela." -- Monsignor Corrado Balducci "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist. In the vastness of the Universe we are not alone." -- Albert Einstein "Of course it is possible that UFO's really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the Government is hushing it up." --Professor Stephen Hawking "Mission control, We have a UFO pacing our position, request instructions!" -- Astronaut Cady Coleman "In my official status, I cannot comment on ET contact. However, personally, I can assure you, we are not alone! --Charles J. Camarda (Ph.D.) NASA Astronaut "All Apollo and Gemini flights were followed, both at a distance and sometimes also quite closely, by space vehicles of extraterrestrial origin - flying saucers, or UFOs, if you want to call them by that name. Every time it occurred, the astronauts informed Mission Control, who then ordered absolute silence." --Maurice Chatelain, former chief of NASA Communications Systems. Mark Lawes
  • Score: 0

10:18pm Sat 22 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

Mr Lawes

Fine words from distinguished people,

Not ONE scrap of evidence!
Mr Lawes Fine words from distinguished people, Not ONE scrap of evidence! nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

11:10pm Sat 22 Jun 13

Mark Lawes says...

Mr nearly right all the time

Show me the evidence that they are not visiting, when you show me that hard evidence, when you explain away the Radar Records, the filmed Nasa footage from the Apollo missions and the ISS, when you explain away the millions upon millions of witnesses to this phenomena, when you explain away the fact that the UK government does not deny there existence but simply does not see them as a threat, when you can show me the HARD evidence that this is not happening then you will be a unique person indeed. In the meantime I still have a few years left in me before I kick the bucket. I wont expect that evidence to prove me wrong any time soon.
We will always disagree which is fine, I respect your opinion is your own and like the greater percentage of the planet what I have said seems impossible, but like I said previously just because you cannot see it, touch it or measure it does not mean it does not exist.I am sure likewise you will respect my view.
Mr nearly right all the time Show me the evidence that they are not visiting, when you show me that hard evidence, when you explain away the Radar Records, the filmed Nasa footage from the Apollo missions and the ISS, when you explain away the millions upon millions of witnesses to this phenomena, when you explain away the fact that the UK government does not deny there existence but simply does not see them as a threat, when you can show me the HARD evidence that this is not happening then you will be a unique person indeed. In the meantime I still have a few years left in me before I kick the bucket. I wont expect that evidence to prove me wrong any time soon. We will always disagree which is fine, I respect your opinion is your own and like the greater percentage of the planet what I have said seems impossible, but like I said previously just because you cannot see it, touch it or measure it does not mean it does not exist.I am sure likewise you will respect my view. Mark Lawes
  • Score: 0

12:18am Sun 23 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

Mr Lawes

you say "millions upon millions have
witness or experienced UFOs

Ok that I will accept ,do you have
one photo, or RADAR plot that is "cast
iron"
so I can check? cross reference verify?

if you can give me hard and fast facts
I will examine.

And I promises if you produce hard evidence I will accept it!
Mr Lawes you say "millions upon millions have witness or experienced UFOs Ok that I will accept ,do you have one photo, or RADAR plot that is "cast iron" so I can check? cross reference verify? if you can give me hard and fast facts I will examine. And I promises if you produce hard evidence I will accept it! nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Sun 23 Jun 13

Gypo.Joe says...

nearly right all the time wrote:
No mate, i am not Mr Piggot

I have seen of your post before,
and if i was as thick as you i would keep my mouth shut
Oh my sides you have sussed our resident BNP arse wipe out in one go.

Karl Daley is his name, Bromley / Beckenhams very own village idiot.
[quote][p][bold]nearly right all the time[/bold] wrote: No mate, i am not Mr Piggot I have seen of your post before, and if i was as thick as you i would keep my mouth shut[/p][/quote]Oh my sides you have sussed our resident BNP arse wipe out in one go. Karl Daley is his name, Bromley / Beckenhams very own village idiot. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 0

11:07am Mon 24 Jun 13

PaulErith says...

nearly right all the time wrote:
Mr Lawes you say "millions upon millions have witness or experienced UFOs Ok that I will accept ,do you have one photo, or RADAR plot that is "cast iron" so I can check? cross reference verify? if you can give me hard and fast facts I will examine. And I promises if you produce hard evidence I will accept it!
I agree totally. I'm very open minded about there being other life forms out there. However, have any of them visited Earth yet - I think not. As you say, if millions have witnessed it, you'd think that one might have obtained a photograph. These days, everyone has camera phones. You can capture a picture or video in seconds.
[quote][p][bold]nearly right all the time[/bold] wrote: Mr Lawes you say "millions upon millions have witness or experienced UFOs Ok that I will accept ,do you have one photo, or RADAR plot that is "cast iron" so I can check? cross reference verify? if you can give me hard and fast facts I will examine. And I promises if you produce hard evidence I will accept it![/p][/quote]I agree totally. I'm very open minded about there being other life forms out there. However, have any of them visited Earth yet - I think not. As you say, if millions have witnessed it, you'd think that one might have obtained a photograph. These days, everyone has camera phones. You can capture a picture or video in seconds. PaulErith
  • Score: 0

11:23am Mon 24 Jun 13

Gypo.Joe says...

I've seen Erastus Piggott when he was visiting Ur anus Karl.


I'm Tom Spartacus today.
I've seen Erastus Piggott when he was visiting Ur anus Karl. I'm Tom Spartacus today. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 0

11:29am Mon 24 Jun 13

klaatuu says...

Mr Laws - your list of reasonably credible people's quotes, seeming to take this seriously can't be brushed off quickly, well done for posting it.

Trouble is, there are people here who seem to just know they are right and can explain everything. This, in itself, is a strange phenomenon. It's as if they are almost scared of the unknown to the extent that they spend quite a bit of time here laughing off anyone who disagrees with them. This behaviour is almost as interesting as the topic itself. It's kind of like if they reject the thought of something a bit odd, it will go away and they can get on with having a nice cup of tea.

Other people here seem to be happy rolling out the usual clichés to poo-poo stuff but would never listen or learn enough about this to actually be able to discuss it properly.

I could go on..... Probably no point though.

Mr nearly right all the time (why not call yourself "right all the time")

With regard to "They never seem to flyover populated areas in daylight at peak times" - there are several, pre-Photoshop pieces of footage that are difficult to explain shot by the military and other sources that are in bright sunlight. You just have to do a bit of research and you will see them.

I have personally seen a couple of unexplainable events in the sky, both times with (sane/sober) witnesses, one of them on cloudless day at about 13:15 in Catford.

Maybe I'm being a bit judgemental. Maybe a person needs to see something first hand for themselves to "get it"

I can only tell you I'm not a nutter and you really have to take my word for it...perhaps not enough evidence for you though?
Mr Laws - your list of reasonably credible people's quotes, seeming to take this seriously can't be brushed off quickly, well done for posting it. Trouble is, there are people here who seem to just know they are right and can explain everything. This, in itself, is a strange phenomenon. It's as if they are almost scared of the unknown to the extent that they spend quite a bit of time here laughing off anyone who disagrees with them. This behaviour is almost as interesting as the topic itself. It's kind of like if they reject the thought of something a bit odd, it will go away and they can get on with having a nice cup of tea. Other people here seem to be happy rolling out the usual clichés to poo-poo stuff but would never listen or learn enough about this to actually be able to discuss it properly. I could go on..... Probably no point though. Mr nearly right all the time (why not call yourself "right all the time") With regard to "They never seem to flyover populated areas in daylight at peak times" - there are several, pre-Photoshop pieces of footage that are difficult to explain shot by the military and other sources that are in bright sunlight. You just have to do a bit of research and you will see them. I have personally seen a couple of unexplainable events in the sky, both times with (sane/sober) witnesses, one of them on cloudless day at about 13:15 in Catford. Maybe I'm being a bit judgemental. Maybe a person needs to see something first hand for themselves to "get it" I can only tell you I'm not a nutter and you really have to take my word for it...perhaps not enough evidence for you though? klaatuu
  • Score: 0

11:48am Mon 24 Jun 13

firsteventure says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
I've seen Erastus Piggott when he was visiting Ur anus Karl. I'm Tom Spartacus today.
heard you got scared and didnt turn up to that pub hahaha
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: I've seen Erastus Piggott when he was visiting Ur anus Karl. I'm Tom Spartacus today.[/p][/quote]heard you got scared and didnt turn up to that pub hahaha firsteventure
  • Score: 0

11:50am Mon 24 Jun 13

firsteventure says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
nearly right all the time wrote: No mate, i am not Mr Piggot I have seen of your post before, and if i was as thick as you i would keep my mouth shut
Oh my sides you have sussed our resident BNP arse wipe out in one go. Karl Daley is his name, Bromley / Beckenhams very own village idiot.
you like "naming" people you think are on here but when they offer to buy you a beer at a certain pub you run away haha little knob haha
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nearly right all the time[/bold] wrote: No mate, i am not Mr Piggot I have seen of your post before, and if i was as thick as you i would keep my mouth shut[/p][/quote]Oh my sides you have sussed our resident BNP arse wipe out in one go. Karl Daley is his name, Bromley / Beckenhams very own village idiot.[/p][/quote]you like "naming" people you think are on here but when they offer to buy you a beer at a certain pub you run away haha little knob haha firsteventure
  • Score: 0

3:49pm Mon 24 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

Mr Klattuu

I can tell by your name you enjoy a good Si-Fi story (so do I by the way)

When people like the late, great
Sir Patrick Moore spent a life time looking towards the sky and not once
said he saw a UFO, I have to treat the
casual observer with a degree of caution when they say what they have
seen and when they have seen it.

However I have an open mind, but no one can produce any evidence at all
other than some grainy photos, and yes I do "need to see it to get it"
Mr Klattuu I can tell by your name you enjoy a good Si-Fi story (so do I by the way) When people like the late, great Sir Patrick Moore spent a life time looking towards the sky and not once said he saw a UFO, I have to treat the casual observer with a degree of caution when they say what they have seen and when they have seen it. However I have an open mind, but no one can produce any evidence at all other than some grainy photos, and yes I do "need to see it to get it" nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Mon 24 Jun 13

Gypo.Joe says...

firsteventure wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
nearly right all the time wrote: No mate, i am not Mr Piggot I have seen of your post before, and if i was as thick as you i would keep my mouth shut
Oh my sides you have sussed our resident BNP arse wipe out in one go. Karl Daley is his name, Bromley / Beckenhams very own village idiot.
you like "naming" people you think are on here but when they offer to buy you a beer at a certain pub you run away haha little knob haha
I once saw a little fat man descend in an old white van in Bourne Vale Bromley.

I fell over laughing.
[quote][p][bold]firsteventure[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nearly right all the time[/bold] wrote: No mate, i am not Mr Piggot I have seen of your post before, and if i was as thick as you i would keep my mouth shut[/p][/quote]Oh my sides you have sussed our resident BNP arse wipe out in one go. Karl Daley is his name, Bromley / Beckenhams very own village idiot.[/p][/quote]you like "naming" people you think are on here but when they offer to buy you a beer at a certain pub you run away haha little knob haha[/p][/quote]I once saw a little fat man descend in an old white van in Bourne Vale Bromley. I fell over laughing. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 0

4:59pm Mon 24 Jun 13

klaatuu says...

NRAT

I too have absolute reverence for Patrick Moore as he spent a lot of time observing. It's the observing that is the salient part of what's being discussed here. I have no idea what causes these things and we probably both agree that it may well not be little green men. So what is it? Why are these fascinating things so readily demoted to crazy corner, why are they not just discussed. If they were, you might find people on forums like this being more open about what they have experienced and ready to share, without being ridiculed. This sharing in turn might amount to some sort of raw data from which we can learn. As far as evidence goes, no we might not ever get the "proverbial" in the middle of Central Park protected by an invisible force field stuff, but there comes a point where so much circumstantial evidence is accrued that you've got to come to some sort of a conclusion eventually. OK you're open minded, so seriously check out the proper sources of footage i.e. those that didn't have an axe to grind - civil aviation, military, etc.. NOT the bol**cks you see on Youtube generally.
NRAT I too have absolute reverence for Patrick Moore as he spent a lot of time observing. It's the observing that is the salient part of what's being discussed here. I have no idea what causes these things and we probably both agree that it may well not be little green men. So what is it? Why are these fascinating things so readily demoted to crazy corner, why are they not just discussed. If they were, you might find people on forums like this being more open about what they have experienced and ready to share, without being ridiculed. This sharing in turn might amount to some sort of raw data from which we can learn. As far as evidence goes, no we might not ever get the "proverbial" in the middle of Central Park protected by an invisible force field stuff, but there comes a point where so much circumstantial evidence is accrued that you've got to come to some sort of a conclusion eventually. OK you're open minded, so seriously check out the proper sources of footage i.e. those that didn't have an axe to grind - civil aviation, military, etc.. NOT the bol**cks you see on Youtube generally. klaatuu
  • Score: 0

8:36pm Mon 24 Jun 13

JimFlin says...

Klaatuu and Nearly Right all? of the time.

Why on Earth would an astronomer see a UFO, Astronomers spend there time looking through telescopes and at objects that at closest are 240,000 miles away(The Moon) or Mars at 36million miles at its closest (July 2018).
UFOs are observed usually within 0 - 36,000 ft, so hardly any srprise that Astronemers dont often see them. Which is not to say that they never do because there are several reports made by astronomers. I reguarlly use my yelescope at night and never saw one UFO, however I have see 2 flying discs slowly move across RAF Northolt airport, they were not technology I have ever seen before, I have witnessed a craft hover approx 14,000 ft for 20 minites before moving off, its shape and lack of wings or rotor blades defied any physics I know of. I have witnessed more and why me you may wonder, well I spend a lot of time looking into the sky and have done for many years, most people may spend a combined total of 30 mins a year looking into the sky, just to observe the weather or observe a passing helicopter thats louder than normal. If you dont put in the observation time then the chances of seeing are slim to nil.
I agree that these days you cannot trust what you see on Youtube and pictures are easily manipulated but there is more than enough pre photodhop material to look at to get an idea of whether this is real or not. Why did the British government spend over 50 years investigating this if it is not a real phenomana, they certainly never had a Fairy desk for 50 years. Why do the French government, the Argentinians, Brazilian, Russian, German, Swedish, and so on and so on still actively investigate or have official bodies doing the work for them.
NRAT I think if a ufo flew over and crapped a grey on your back you still wouldnt beleive, but thats fair enough its a lot to take in for many many people. I would ask everyone who has passed comment here to ask 10 of there freinds and family between now nad tomorrow night if they have ever seen a UFO and lets see how may of that 10 say yes and how many say no. Lets all be man enough to give honest answers, it wont prove anything at all but may get us all thinking.
Klaatuu and Nearly Right all? of the time. Why on Earth would an astronomer see a UFO, Astronomers spend there time looking through telescopes and at objects that at closest are 240,000 miles away(The Moon) or Mars at 36million miles at its closest (July 2018). UFOs are observed usually within 0 - 36,000 ft, so hardly any srprise that Astronemers dont often see them. Which is not to say that they never do because there are several reports made by astronomers. I reguarlly use my yelescope at night and never saw one UFO, however I have see 2 flying discs slowly move across RAF Northolt airport, they were not technology I have ever seen before, I have witnessed a craft hover approx 14,000 ft for 20 minites before moving off, its shape and lack of wings or rotor blades defied any physics I know of. I have witnessed more and why me you may wonder, well I spend a lot of time looking into the sky and have done for many years, most people may spend a combined total of 30 mins a year looking into the sky, just to observe the weather or observe a passing helicopter thats louder than normal. If you dont put in the observation time then the chances of seeing are slim to nil. I agree that these days you cannot trust what you see on Youtube and pictures are easily manipulated but there is more than enough pre photodhop material to look at to get an idea of whether this is real or not. Why did the British government spend over 50 years investigating this if it is not a real phenomana, they certainly never had a Fairy desk for 50 years. Why do the French government, the Argentinians, Brazilian, Russian, German, Swedish, and so on and so on still actively investigate or have official bodies doing the work for them. NRAT I think if a ufo flew over and crapped a grey on your back you still wouldnt beleive, but thats fair enough its a lot to take in for many many people. I would ask everyone who has passed comment here to ask 10 of there freinds and family between now nad tomorrow night if they have ever seen a UFO and lets see how may of that 10 say yes and how many say no. Lets all be man enough to give honest answers, it wont prove anything at all but may get us all thinking. JimFlin
  • Score: 0

8:52pm Mon 24 Jun 13

Mark Lawes says...

I am up for that, I will ask the 10 people between now and tomorrow night.
I am up for that, I will ask the 10 people between now and tomorrow night. Mark Lawes
  • Score: 0

10:00am Tue 25 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

once again use of a hollywood stero type


Why grey?

is it because thats what Spilberg uses?
once again use of a hollywood stero type Why grey? is it because thats what Spilberg uses? nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

10:18am Tue 25 Jun 13

JimFlin says...

NRAT

You seem to be an expert on something you have clearly spent your time researching from the Sun newspaper and little else. I guess you consider yourself the font of all knowledge so somewhere along the line you missed this subject by a country mile mate.
NRAT You seem to be an expert on something you have clearly spent your time researching from the Sun newspaper and little else. I guess you consider yourself the font of all knowledge so somewhere along the line you missed this subject by a country mile mate. JimFlin
  • Score: 0

10:26am Tue 25 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

Their is no evidence, anywhere in the world for any UFO activity.

You can jump up and down all you like,
you do not have one piece of plausable
evidence.

Not one artifact, not one communication!

NOTHING! because their is no visitors from outer space, only earth bound people wishing their was!
Their is no evidence, anywhere in the world for any UFO activity. You can jump up and down all you like, you do not have one piece of plausable evidence. Not one artifact, not one communication! NOTHING! because their is no visitors from outer space, only earth bound people wishing their was! nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

12:15pm Tue 25 Jun 13

klaatuu says...

No point in getting stressed about it, NRAT is an evangelist with a belief system. Nothing wrong with that. "May your god go with you" as a great man once said : )
No point in getting stressed about it, NRAT is an evangelist with a belief system. Nothing wrong with that. "May your god go with you" as a great man once said : ) klaatuu
  • Score: 0

3:49pm Tue 25 Jun 13

nearly right all the time says...

Mr K,

sorry wide of the mark again!

I don't believe in God,Allah, pixies, Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster, EVP
ESP,Fortune cookies,or the Hunny monster!

My advise is "keep watching the skies"
"the truth is out there"
"we are not alone" and "in space no one can hear you scream"

Last post on the subject, I am now off
to do some proper science in my day job!
Mr K, sorry wide of the mark again! I don't believe in God,Allah, pixies, Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster, EVP ESP,Fortune cookies,or the Hunny monster! My advise is "keep watching the skies" "the truth is out there" "we are not alone" and "in space no one can hear you scream" Last post on the subject, I am now off to do some proper science in my day job! nearly right all the time
  • Score: 0

4:33pm Tue 25 Jun 13

JimFlin says...

Good talking to you NRAT remember to ask 10 people if you get the chance.
I had 3 yes and 6 no have not found a tenth person to ask. I still have 1.5 hours of my 11 hour work day to find someone else.
And I have that's 7 no's !! But three yes's ain't bad especially as 1 was a triangle hovering and the second a cigar shaped object in a blue haze over a lake by a night fisherman.
Good talking to you NRAT remember to ask 10 people if you get the chance. I had 3 yes and 6 no have not found a tenth person to ask. I still have 1.5 hours of my 11 hour work day to find someone else. And I have that's 7 no's !! But three yes's ain't bad especially as 1 was a triangle hovering and the second a cigar shaped object in a blue haze over a lake by a night fisherman. JimFlin
  • Score: 0

7:56pm Tue 25 Jun 13

Mark Lawes says...

Only two out of ten but that' s still a lot more than I would have guessed. What appeared to be a very bright star in the night sky suddenly accelerated across the sky and was out of sight within approx ten seconds. The other was probably a Chinese lantern, which I guess makes one.
Only two out of ten but that' s still a lot more than I would have guessed. What appeared to be a very bright star in the night sky suddenly accelerated across the sky and was out of sight within approx ten seconds. The other was probably a Chinese lantern, which I guess makes one. Mark Lawes
  • Score: 0

8:32am Wed 26 Jun 13

klaatuu says...

NRAT

If you still reading, it was immature of me to be cryptic. I wasn’t saying you had religion. I was just saying that you are evangelical about your beliefs, as in, keen on broadcasting them. I was also quoting Dave Allen as you can replace “god” in this context with a lot of things including “dog” if you spell it backwards.

It’s great that you’ve wound us all up into talking about the subject and I’ve enjoyed the discussion, thanks. May your mindset go with you.

Jim, nice work, I haven’t had the time to do a pop vox but that’s interesting. Apart from what I’ve seen, my dad saw something years ago on the site where the O2 is now. It used to be East Greenwich gasworks. He watched a bright silver dot high in the sky for about 30 minutes motionless (in a wind) until a point where, if memory serves, four other tiny silver dots seemed to come out of it. The four dots then moved off in opposing directions (i.e. N, S, E and W so to speak) away from the first silver dot. The original silver dot then moved off slowly at first, but then accelerated at ridiculous rate over the horizon, as did the four other dots… I know, this does sound very unlikely. Thing is, when you hear it from anyone you know that’s not a bull****** and you hear the genuine enthusiasm in their voice very soon after an event it’s quite compelling to believe them. Or you could just experience no emotion at all and say:
- It was Venus
- Swamp gas
- A very highly compressed ball of swans indulging in high altitude mating patterns.
- (insert standard comments here)

Jim, best of luck wit the survey.


It was Venus

He
NRAT If you still reading, it was immature of me to be cryptic. I wasn’t saying you had religion. I was just saying that you are evangelical about your beliefs, as in, keen on broadcasting them. I was also quoting Dave Allen as you can replace “god” in this context with a lot of things including “dog” if you spell it backwards. It’s great that you’ve wound us all up into talking about the subject and I’ve enjoyed the discussion, thanks. May your mindset go with you. Jim, nice work, I haven’t had the time to do a pop vox but that’s interesting. Apart from what I’ve seen, my dad saw something years ago on the site where the O2 is now. It used to be East Greenwich gasworks. He watched a bright silver dot high in the sky for about 30 minutes motionless (in a wind) until a point where, if memory serves, four other tiny silver dots seemed to come out of it. The four dots then moved off in opposing directions (i.e. N, S, E and W so to speak) away from the first silver dot. The original silver dot then moved off slowly at first, but then accelerated at ridiculous rate over the horizon, as did the four other dots… I know, this does sound very unlikely. Thing is, when you hear it from anyone you know that’s not a bull****** and you hear the genuine enthusiasm in their voice very soon after an event it’s quite compelling to believe them. Or you could just experience no emotion at all and say: - It was Venus - Swamp gas - A very highly compressed ball of swans indulging in high altitude mating patterns. - (insert standard comments here) Jim, best of luck wit the survey. It was Venus He klaatuu
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree