Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Young father extinguishes Hextable kitchen fire by throwing pan out window
A HEXTABLE house fire was extinguished by a father who threw a burning pan of hot fat out the window.
Firefighters say a young family, who live in Bower Road, had a “very close call” after fire broke out in their kitchen at 11.23pm last night.
The kitchen units were set alight by the flames and the whole house suffered from severe smoke damage.
Dartford watch manager Lee Abel said: “This was a very close call for this young family.
“Luckily the smoke detector sounded, raising the alarm, giving the man, his wife and young child the valuable minutes needed to get out of their detached home to safety.
“However, the man then returned to the fire, removed the pan from the heat and threw it out of the window, extinguishing the fire.
“Fortunately, he wasn’t hurt but it could have been a very different story.”
Two fire engines from Dartford attended the scene and firefighters used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke-logged kitchen.
They also fitted additional smoke alarms in the detached house.
Mr Abel added: “If you have a chip pan fire, never move the pan or throw water over it – it could explode causing serious injury.
“Turn off the heat – if you can do so safely - and get out of your home.
“Your property and possessions are replaceable, your life isn’t.”