TWO people have been arrested on suspicion of murder following a fatal shooting in Dartford last night.

A 24-year-old woman and man, 25, are being held in custody after a man was shot dead in the street.

The victim, 32, named locally as Kevin McKinley, knew the pair who were arrested in the early hours of this morning.

Emergency services were called to Overy Street at shortly before 8pm last night and found the man with at least one gunshot wound.

The man who had gone into cardiac arrest was treated by ambulance staff  at the scene before being taken to Darent Valley Hospital where he died of his injuries.

This morning several members of the McKinley family laid flowers at the scene.

They included one from his mum who paid tribute her "baby boy".

Neighbour Cyril Harris, 71, who lives in Merryweather Close around 30 yards from where shots were fired, said: "I had no idea it was a gunshot - I just heard a couple of bangs one after another.

"There was a lot of blood; a great loss of blood there.

"There were a couple of people comforting him with one woman holding the wound before paramedics arrived.

"It was very awkward actually and sad to see him lying there."

Retired Mr Harris, who lives with his wife, added: "It's not something you expect on your doorstep.

"It's upsetting and a little too close. There are families here and little kids.

"But in this day and age it's not surprising.”

The crime scene remains taped off with two grey plastic tents covering the blood stains from the shooting.

Chief Superintendent of Kent Police's North Division, Neil Jerome, said: "I'd like to reassure the people of Dartford that we are not treating this as a random incident, and those we have arrested were known to the victim.

"The two people remain in custody for questioning.”

Dartford councillor for Newtown ward Avtar Sandhu said: “This is very shocking news for Dartford as a whole.

"Our thoughts go out to the victims family and I have every confidence in the police force whom I am sure will deal with this incident in the most relevant manner.

"The fact that residents and passers by within the area came to the aid of the victim shows the real togetherness of Dartfordians."

A South East Coast Ambulance spokesman said crews were called to Overy Street to reports of a man seriously injured and treated the man who had gone into cardiac arrest.

Anyone with information should call Kent Police on 101.

More to follow.

Did you see what happened? Call the newsroom on 01689 885702.