Bexley Boxer dog 'poisoned' by grit

Jo Haine with her 'poisoned' pooch Rock-Sea

Jo Haine with her 'poisoned' pooch Rock-Sea

First published in News
Last updated
by

A 14-MONTH old dog is thought to have been poisoned by grit laid in Bexley.

Rock-Sea fell ill after going for a Sunday stroll around the streets close to her home in Murchison Avenue.

Her concerned owner Jo Haine says the Boxer dog’s symptoms include shivering, vomiting and excessive drinking.

The mother of two said: “I don’t know whether she’s got grit on her paws and licked them later or eaten the grit.

“She has a problem with her kidneys. She’s drinking the water and it’s going in one end and out the other.”

Mrs Haine, of Murchison Avenue, Bexley Village, got in touch after reading News Shopper’s article on three dogs struck down in Dartford two weeks ago.

“I don’t know whether they’ve changed what they put on the roads but all of a sudden I’m hearing cases of dogs taken ill.”

Rock-Sea’s health took a turn for the worse following the walk last month and has had blood tests at Oval Pet Centre Veterinary Practice.

“She’s such a young dog - I just hope there’s no long term damage.”

A Bexley Council spokesman said it has not received any reports of dog poisoning caused by gritting and uses rock salt which does not contain any additives.

She added: “Pet owners are of course advised to wipe their dogs' paws when they return home from walks in any adverse weather conditions to prevent them from either becoming sore or licking them excessively.”

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:30pm Wed 6 Feb 13

the wall says...

Maybe this person should not have a dog if they can't look after the animal.
Maybe this person should not have a dog if they can't look after the animal. the wall
  • Score: 0

11:57am Sun 10 Feb 13

madras says...

Sorry to hear the dog's not well and hope she makes full recovery - but I am struggling to understand why it is thought (assumed) grit to be the cause
Sorry to hear the dog's not well and hope she makes full recovery - but I am struggling to understand why it is thought (assumed) grit to be the cause madras
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Sun 10 Feb 13

reasonable75 says...

Could this follow from the case in NS where someone claimed there dogs were poisoned in Dartford park?
Could this follow from the case in NS where someone claimed there dogs were poisoned in Dartford park? reasonable75
  • Score: 0

5:59pm Sun 10 Feb 13

mouthalmighty says...

I am not meaning to be cruel, but it is the owners responsibility to watch over their dogs and what they put in their mouths. Grit saves a lot of lives, and a lot of injuries too. Please dog owners, although difficult, please keep an eye on your dogs.
I am not meaning to be cruel, but it is the owners responsibility to watch over their dogs and what they put in their mouths. Grit saves a lot of lives, and a lot of injuries too. Please dog owners, although difficult, please keep an eye on your dogs. mouthalmighty
  • Score: 0

1:33pm Mon 11 Feb 13

justjackuk says...

the wall wrote:
Maybe this person should not have a dog if they can't look after the animal.
Maybe you should keep your belligerent tongue to yourself
[quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: Maybe this person should not have a dog if they can't look after the animal.[/p][/quote]Maybe you should keep your belligerent tongue to yourself justjackuk
  • Score: 0

1:34pm Mon 11 Feb 13

justjackuk says...

Change vets from Oval Pet Centre Veterinary Practice.... they are totally useless !
Change vets from Oval Pet Centre Veterinary Practice.... they are totally useless ! justjackuk
  • Score: 0

10:01am Tue 12 Feb 13

the wall says...

justjackuk wrote:
the wall wrote:
Maybe this person should not have a dog if they can't look after the animal.
Maybe you should keep your belligerent tongue to yourself
Well done it's taken you 5 days to think that up.

Where's your normal comment about bring back dog licence. You think that will solve everything.

I have had dogs all my life, (about 12 dogs in total) and not one of them has ever been made ill by rock salt. Mainly becasue I know what I'm doing. It's a shame there isn't an IQ test.

What do these so called onwers think rock salt will do to an animal? How dumb are they?


So wind your neck in and jack off !
[quote][p][bold]justjackuk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: Maybe this person should not have a dog if they can't look after the animal.[/p][/quote]Maybe you should keep your belligerent tongue to yourself[/p][/quote]Well done it's taken you 5 days to think that up. Where's your normal comment about bring back dog licence. You think that will solve everything. I have had dogs all my life, (about 12 dogs in total) and not one of them has ever been made ill by rock salt. Mainly becasue I know what I'm doing. It's a shame there isn't an IQ test. What do these so called onwers think rock salt will do to an animal? How dumb are they? So wind your neck in and jack off ! the wall
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree