Bexley garage blaze: fire crews attend Albany Road for more than two hours

First published in
Last updated

FIRE crews took more than two hours to bring a Bexley garage fire under control yesterday afternoon. 

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters and officers attended the blaze in Albany Road following a call at 4.10pm to a 4x5m garage which was 100 per cent alight.

Twelve people were evacuated and one man treated for smoke inhalation at the scene though he was not taken to hospital.  

An ambulance was sent at 4.17pm along with two duty station officers and a hazard area response team.

Two butane cylinders were involved in the fire causing a hazard zone to be set up to cool them as the cannisters can explode when exposed to heat.

The blaze was under control by 6.25pm and was started by a bonfire which got out of control.

The cause is accidental. 

Do you know anything about this incident? Send your comments and pictures to or tweet @NewsShopperTim

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree