Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Meopham bungalow fire: Elderly woman saved by neighbours
AN ELDERLY woman has her quick thinking neighbours to thank for saving her life after a fire broke out in her Meopham bungalow.
The woman, believed to be 80 years old, was asleep when the fire broke out and was woken by her neighbours who rushed across the road and managed to rouse her by banging on the door.
They led her to safety and phoned the fire service.
Four fire engines from Thames-side, Dartford and Strood were sent to the property in New Road just after 6am on Friday morning (January 25).
Crews used two main jets, a hose reel and a hydrant to tackle the blaze, which started in the roof space and spread to the ground floor.
Thames-side Watch Manager Ray Kilbourne said: “This was a serious fire and the bungalow was almost destroyed.
"The first crew could see the flames from about half a mile away. "Without the quick actions of the neighbours, the lady may not have survived, as the fire spread very quickly.
“This fire demonstrates how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home.
"They stand guard around the clock and when they sense smoke, sound a shrill alarm, giving people the precious but limited time they need to escape.”
The fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault in the loft, destroying the roof and most of the ground floor.
The blaze was extinguished by 8.30am but crews remained at the scene until just after 11am, damping down hot spots and assisting with salvage work.