Puppies snatched during Belvedere pet shop raid

The two Shih Tzu puppies taken from Belvedere Pets and Flowers

The pair of West Highland White Terriers snatched from Belvedere Pets and Flowers

Heartbroken shop owner Sheri Poole next to the empty cages where the puppies were ripped from

First published in News
Last updated
by

A BELVEDERE pet shop owner has spoken of her "nightmare" after four pedigree puppies worth £2,000 were stolen during a late night smash and grab raid at her shop.

Determined thieves are believed to have used a van to smash through the door of Belvedere Pets and Flowers, in Albion Road, before grabbing the tiny puppies as they slept in their cages overnight.

Devastated shop owner Sheri Poole was alerted by a neighbouring business at 6.45am last Wednesday. (Jan 16)

She told News Shopper: "I shot down here and found the door smashed in and dogs taken, it was a nightmare - really horrible.

"They’re only little animals. I just hope they have home for them and not chucked in a shed.

"It’s very sad for the animals, it’s horrible weather."

The pairs of Shih Tzus and West Highland White Terriers were on sale for £475 and £460 each respectively.

Mrs Poole, 55, who has run the shop for eight years, said: "You can pay anything up to £600 each for them.

"Shih Tzu’s are more in demand than Westie’s. I’ve heard about them being stolen in parks around Bexley.

"If the thieves do try to sell them and you notice the sellers are slightly suspicious, they might be returned."

Around £350 in cash was also taken from Belvedere Pets and Flowers, which sells a wide range of animals.

Acting Detective Superintendent Gary Holmes from Bexley CID said: "With help from the public the puppies will be found and go to caring owners.

"Burglary is a top priority for Bexley and we will use all necessary methods available to us to ensure we keep burglars off our streets."

Anyone with information should call Bexley burglary and robbery squad on 020 8284 9248.

Not a one-off

THIS is not the first time valuable pet dogs have been stolen in Bexley.

In September last year, News Shopper reported how a mother and son were left devastated after their pet chihuahua was stolen in Bexleyheath.

Three-year-old Coco escaped from the back garden of Elizabeth Russell, 24, and her six-year-old son Harvey's home in Red House Lane on the afternoon of September 2.

The £550 teacup chihuahua wandered into the street and was picked-up by a lady living nearby who went house to house knocking on doors trying to find her owner.

She got to within a few doors of Coco's home when a silver car pulled into the drive with two men inside. Miss Russell says one of the men then got out and pretended the dog belonged to his sister.

The resident was convinced and handed over Coco only to watch the man get into his car before speeding off. Miss Russell says he even went to kiss the dog to convince her finder he was the owner, but Coco pulled away.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:22pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Virtual-Monster says...

Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'?

Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice.

Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.
Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'? Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice. Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad. Virtual-Monster
  • Score: -1

2:45pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Simon bald says...

Virtual-Monster wrote:
Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'?

Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice.

Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.
You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?
[quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'? Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice. Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.[/p][/quote]You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you? Simon bald
  • Score: -2

3:39pm Tue 22 Jan 13

DA17 Resident says...

How very sad. It seems that these poor animals may have been stolen for breeding. Are the young animals in this shop regularly left alone overnight?

It really is time to stop selling pets like this. As an active supporter of a local rescue organisation, I really do think rescue is the way to go. Many States in US have now banned the sale of animals in shops. Not saying that these pups in particular were but many dogs are bred in the most horrendous puppy mills. If you must buy a dog instead of rescuing one, be sure to see the mother and father dog too.

I hope these poor dogs are soon located and good, loving homes are found for them with people who will care for them properly and not use them as a source of income.
How very sad. It seems that these poor animals may have been stolen for breeding. Are the young animals in this shop regularly left alone overnight? It really is time to stop selling pets like this. As an active supporter of a local rescue organisation, I really do think rescue is the way to go. Many States in US have now banned the sale of animals in shops. Not saying that these pups in particular were but many dogs are bred in the most horrendous puppy mills. If you must buy a dog instead of rescuing one, be sure to see the mother and father dog too. I hope these poor dogs are soon located and good, loving homes are found for them with people who will care for them properly and not use them as a source of income. DA17 Resident
  • Score: 2

3:44pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Virtual-Monster says...

Simon bald wrote:
Virtual-Monster wrote:
Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'?

Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice.

Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.
You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?
Wow, who got kicked out of the wrong side of their dog bed? Are you having a ‘ruff’ day?

I can't do anything about the scum bag thieves or their actions, but a bit of humour doesn't really hurt anyone does it?
[quote][p][bold]Simon bald[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'? Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice. Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.[/p][/quote]You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?[/p][/quote]Wow, who got kicked out of the wrong side of their dog bed? Are you having a ‘ruff’ day? I can't do anything about the scum bag thieves or their actions, but a bit of humour doesn't really hurt anyone does it? Virtual-Monster
  • Score: -1

4:13pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Simon bald says...

Virtual-Monster wrote:
Simon bald wrote:
Virtual-Monster wrote:
Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'?

Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice.

Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.
You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?
Wow, who got kicked out of the wrong side of their dog bed? Are you having a ‘ruff’ day?

I can't do anything about the scum bag thieves or their actions, but a bit of humour doesn't really hurt anyone does it?
Ruff day? Ruff day? You continue to make light of this tragedy
[quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Simon bald[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'? Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice. Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.[/p][/quote]You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?[/p][/quote]Wow, who got kicked out of the wrong side of their dog bed? Are you having a ‘ruff’ day? I can't do anything about the scum bag thieves or their actions, but a bit of humour doesn't really hurt anyone does it?[/p][/quote]Ruff day? Ruff day? You continue to make light of this tragedy Simon bald
  • Score: -1

4:22pm Tue 22 Jan 13

the wall says...

Are then any leads yet ?
Are then any leads yet ? the wall
  • Score: -1

4:26pm Tue 22 Jan 13

the wall says...

the wall wrote:
Are then any leads yet ?
Aorry that should read:
Are there any leads yet ?

I don't want people barking up the wrong tree.
[quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: Are then any leads yet ?[/p][/quote]Aorry that should read: Are there any leads yet ? I don't want people barking up the wrong tree. the wall
  • Score: -2

4:39pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Celesta says...

(1) Why the hell were the puppies left overnight with no-one in attendance? Cruelty and neglect come to mind!

(2) Why the hell was she selling pedigree puppies, which probably came from a dodgy breeder (you should always see the pups with their parents before purchase), when there are so many puppies and dogs in rescue centres desperate for homes?

This woman should be banned from running a pet shop or any other animal organisation!
(1) Why the hell were the puppies left overnight with no-one in attendance? Cruelty and neglect come to mind! (2) Why the hell was she selling pedigree puppies, which probably came from a dodgy breeder (you should always see the pups with their parents before purchase), when there are so many puppies and dogs in rescue centres desperate for homes? This woman should be banned from running a pet shop or any other animal organisation! Celesta
  • Score: 3

4:56pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Erith chap says...

Simon bald wrote:
Virtual-Monster wrote:
Simon bald wrote:
Virtual-Monster wrote: Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'? Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice. Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.
You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?
Wow, who got kicked out of the wrong side of their dog bed? Are you having a ‘ruff’ day? I can't do anything about the scum bag thieves or their actions, but a bit of humour doesn't really hurt anyone does it?
Ruff day? Ruff day? You continue to make light of this tragedy
Tragedy? Really? A **** shame, and poor dogs but tragedy? Not for me I'm afraid, haha and clearly the wall with some magnifcent one liners.
[quote][p][bold]Simon bald[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Simon bald[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'? Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice. Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.[/p][/quote]You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?[/p][/quote]Wow, who got kicked out of the wrong side of their dog bed? Are you having a ‘ruff’ day? I can't do anything about the scum bag thieves or their actions, but a bit of humour doesn't really hurt anyone does it?[/p][/quote]Ruff day? Ruff day? You continue to make light of this tragedy[/p][/quote]Tragedy? Really? A **** shame, and poor dogs but tragedy? Not for me I'm afraid, haha and clearly the wall with some magnifcent one liners. Erith chap
  • Score: -2

5:33pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Simon bald says...

Erith chap wrote:
Simon bald wrote:
Virtual-Monster wrote:
Simon bald wrote:
Virtual-Monster wrote: Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'? Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice. Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.
You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?
Wow, who got kicked out of the wrong side of their dog bed? Are you having a ‘ruff’ day? I can't do anything about the scum bag thieves or their actions, but a bit of humour doesn't really hurt anyone does it?
Ruff day? Ruff day? You continue to make light of this tragedy
Tragedy? Really? A **** shame, and poor dogs but tragedy? Not for me I'm afraid, haha and clearly the wall with some magnifcent one liners.
You are evil, no heart whatsoever
[quote][p][bold]Erith chap[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Simon bald[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Simon bald[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Virtual-Monster[/bold] wrote: Wouldn't it have been apt if the burglars broke in through the 'woof'? Now all we are waiting for is a bit of 'wuff' justice. Lets hope the puppies drive the thieves 'barking' mad.[/p][/quote]You are very funny, but what if this had happened to you? Not laughing now are you?[/p][/quote]Wow, who got kicked out of the wrong side of their dog bed? Are you having a ‘ruff’ day? I can't do anything about the scum bag thieves or their actions, but a bit of humour doesn't really hurt anyone does it?[/p][/quote]Ruff day? Ruff day? You continue to make light of this tragedy[/p][/quote]Tragedy? Really? A **** shame, and poor dogs but tragedy? Not for me I'm afraid, haha and clearly the wall with some magnifcent one liners.[/p][/quote]You are evil, no heart whatsoever Simon bald
  • Score: -2

12:35pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Tip-Top says...

It is a tragedy....has anyone tried looking in Tesco's for them?
It is a tragedy....has anyone tried looking in Tesco's for them? Tip-Top
  • Score: -2

3:40pm Wed 23 Jan 13

ginger joe says...

I went to a petting zoo the other day, but it only had one dog. It was a Shih Tzu.
I went to a petting zoo the other day, but it only had one dog. It was a Shih Tzu. ginger joe
  • Score: -1

6:33pm Wed 23 Jan 13

gemmy says...

Good reporting again News Shopper! There is no Albion Road is Belvedere - did you mean Albert Road?

AS for the poor puppies - what were doing being left alone , why is a pet shop in this day and age selling puppies? As others have put responsible sellers let you meet the parents of the puppies
Good reporting again News Shopper! There is no Albion Road is Belvedere - did you mean Albert Road? AS for the poor puppies - what were doing being left alone , why is a pet shop in this day and age selling puppies? As others have put responsible sellers let you meet the parents of the puppies gemmy
  • Score: 3

10:10am Thu 24 Jan 13

reptiles says...

Some comment why are the puppies left alone in the shop at night? where else are they meant to go???

All animal shops do you think the shop owners staff take them all home at night. I mean come on a reptile shop like Crystal palace, do you think he takes home ALL his 20ft pythons etc etc lol! The caiman in the reptile shop in north heath - do you think the owner takes him home each night?? NO
If pets are in pet shops then thats where they stay until people buy them.
But i must admit was the shop in question secure enough?
I do hope that who ever stole them managed to find them good homes and the people that got them do appreciate them.
However if any readers on here see this that have bought cheap puppies, do the decent thing and let police or someone know they are safe - even if you have to do it annonomously.
Some comment why are the puppies left alone in the shop at night? where else are they meant to go??? All animal shops do you think the shop owners staff take them all home at night. I mean come on a reptile shop like Crystal palace, do you think he takes home ALL his 20ft pythons etc etc lol! The caiman in the reptile shop in north heath - do you think the owner takes him home each night?? NO If pets are in pet shops then thats where they stay until people buy them. But i must admit was the shop in question secure enough? I do hope that who ever stole them managed to find them good homes and the people that got them do appreciate them. However if any readers on here see this that have bought cheap puppies, do the decent thing and let police or someone know they are safe - even if you have to do it annonomously. reptiles
  • Score: -2

8:33am Sun 27 Jan 13

mrsABC says...

I bought a dog from this shop about 7 years ago now. the dog had a such severe case of worms he had live worms falling out of his bottom as he was soo full. i hope this lady wasnt the owner back then... if she was then the dogs are probably beter off out of there and will hopefully be sold to loving families.
I bought a dog from this shop about 7 years ago now. the dog had a such severe case of worms he had live worms falling out of his bottom as he was soo full. i hope this lady wasnt the owner back then... if she was then the dogs are probably beter off out of there and will hopefully be sold to loving families. mrsABC
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree