Police appeal: Suspected football fans cause havoc on crowded commuter train from London Bridge to Charlton

News Shopper: Police have released pictures of men they would like to speak to in connection with the incident Police have released pictures of men they would like to speak to in connection with the incident

PICTURES have been released after suspected unruly football fans smashed light bulbs and ripped off seat covers in a crowded commuter train.

Police are appealing for information after the rowdy group – who were heard chanting - damaged a train carriage which they boarded at London Bridge on September 14.

Officers believe the men were fans travelling to watch Crystal Palace play Charlton at The Valley that evening when they caused havoc in the commuter carriage.

They also pulled down light gratings and banged on windows in an “intimidating” display in front of other passengers.

Investigating officer Detective Constable Jason Schweiger said: “They had boarded a crowded commuter train at London Bridge and began pulling down light gratings, ripping off and throwing seat covers, smashing light bulbs and banging on and attempting to break windows.

"They were also heard to be chanting.

“This was obviously an intimidating experience for other passengers and we have conducted an in-depth investigation into the incident to try to identify the people responsible.

“This has included working through forensic opportunities, viewing CCTV footage and speaking with witnesses. Images have also been circulated to other police forces and on police intelligence systems but unfortunately to no avail.

“From viewing CCTV on board the train we have now isolated images of four men we would like to speak to. This was a packed train and I am certain that there are people out there with information that could help our investigation.”

Six men have been arrested in connection with the incident and detectives have now released images of two men they believe may have information.

Anyone who recognises the men pictured or has information about the incident is asked to call British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference B7/LS of 12/12/12. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:06pm Thu 13 Dec 12

the wall says...

Oh look it's not Millwall. So come on PaulErith leave a comment or do you only comment on the reports about Millwall.


They were also heard to be chanting........ So when did that become a crime? and what were they chanting?
Oh look it's not Millwall. So come on PaulErith leave a comment or do you only comment on the reports about Millwall. They were also heard to be chanting........ So when did that become a crime? and what were they chanting? the wall

1:44pm Thu 13 Dec 12

PaulErith says...

the wall wrote:
Oh look it's not Millwall. So come on PaulErith leave a comment or do you only comment on the reports about Millwall. They were also heard to be chanting........ So when did that become a crime? and what were they chanting?
I take it you haven't read a comment I wrote on a story about crowd trouble at Millwall v Charlton? You'll find that I said that I was disappointed by the behaviour of Charlton fans at the ground. I witnessed coins being thrown and abusive behaviour towards to the stewards. I hope they're caught and banned.
[quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: Oh look it's not Millwall. So come on PaulErith leave a comment or do you only comment on the reports about Millwall. They were also heard to be chanting........ So when did that become a crime? and what were they chanting?[/p][/quote]I take it you haven't read a comment I wrote on a story about crowd trouble at Millwall v Charlton? You'll find that I said that I was disappointed by the behaviour of Charlton fans at the ground. I witnessed coins being thrown and abusive behaviour towards to the stewards. I hope they're caught and banned. PaulErith

1:53pm Thu 13 Dec 12

joertmclark says...

Is anyone else getting fed up with football fans? Probably the only sport where team fans just simply do not get along with each other.
Out with football, in with Olympic sports!
Is anyone else getting fed up with football fans? Probably the only sport where team fans just simply do not get along with each other. Out with football, in with Olympic sports! joertmclark

2:30pm Thu 13 Dec 12

PaulErith says...

joertmclark wrote:
Is anyone else getting fed up with football fans? Probably the only sport where team fans just simply do not get along with each other. Out with football, in with Olympic sports!
Agreed. It seems that the behaviour of football fans is getting worse again. There appear to be a growing number of incidents of racism, crowd trouble, etc.
[quote][p][bold]joertmclark[/bold] wrote: Is anyone else getting fed up with football fans? Probably the only sport where team fans just simply do not get along with each other. Out with football, in with Olympic sports![/p][/quote]Agreed. It seems that the behaviour of football fans is getting worse again. There appear to be a growing number of incidents of racism, crowd trouble, etc. PaulErith

2:43pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Tip-Top says...

I know these chaps…A – Norbert, B – Nigel.

They have a renowned reputation for riding urban foxes….”tut”, I hear you say, but it gets worse….. They do it in the hours of daylight, in and around the delivery yards of Nandos establishments (not chanting though…this must be a new thing)!!!
I know these chaps…A – Norbert, B – Nigel. They have a renowned reputation for riding urban foxes….”tut”, I hear you say, but it gets worse….. They do it in the hours of daylight, in and around the delivery yards of Nandos establishments (not chanting though…this must be a new thing)!!! Tip-Top

3:10pm Thu 13 Dec 12

PaulErith says...

One thing is that the article doesn't mention what they were chanting. Therefore, do we know if they were Charlton or Palace fans?
One thing is that the article doesn't mention what they were chanting. Therefore, do we know if they were Charlton or Palace fans? PaulErith

3:16pm Thu 13 Dec 12

the wall says...

PaulErith wrote:
the wall wrote:
Oh look it's not Millwall. So come on PaulErith leave a comment or do you only comment on the reports about Millwall. They were also heard to be chanting........ So when did that become a crime? and what were they chanting?
I take it you haven't read a comment I wrote on a story about crowd trouble at Millwall v Charlton? You'll find that I said that I was disappointed by the behaviour of Charlton fans at the ground. I witnessed coins being thrown and abusive behaviour towards to the stewards. I hope they're caught and banned.
No I haven't, but the comments were getting boring on that report so I gave up. But well done for speaking out.



There is trouble at other sporting events, it's just not widely reported on and not so wide spread. Football and racism are the current buzz words. It will move onto to something else soon.

Maybe if some of the player started behaving then the fans would follow.......... joking.
[quote][p][bold]PaulErith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: Oh look it's not Millwall. So come on PaulErith leave a comment or do you only comment on the reports about Millwall. They were also heard to be chanting........ So when did that become a crime? and what were they chanting?[/p][/quote]I take it you haven't read a comment I wrote on a story about crowd trouble at Millwall v Charlton? You'll find that I said that I was disappointed by the behaviour of Charlton fans at the ground. I witnessed coins being thrown and abusive behaviour towards to the stewards. I hope they're caught and banned.[/p][/quote]No I haven't, but the comments were getting boring on that report so I gave up. But well done for speaking out. There is trouble at other sporting events, it's just not widely reported on and not so wide spread. Football and racism are the current buzz words. It will move onto to something else soon. Maybe if some of the player started behaving then the fans would follow.......... joking. the wall

4:12pm Thu 13 Dec 12

PaulErith says...

the wall wrote:
PaulErith wrote:
the wall wrote: Oh look it's not Millwall. So come on PaulErith leave a comment or do you only comment on the reports about Millwall. They were also heard to be chanting........ So when did that become a crime? and what were they chanting?
I take it you haven't read a comment I wrote on a story about crowd trouble at Millwall v Charlton? You'll find that I said that I was disappointed by the behaviour of Charlton fans at the ground. I witnessed coins being thrown and abusive behaviour towards to the stewards. I hope they're caught and banned.
No I haven't, but the comments were getting boring on that report so I gave up. But well done for speaking out. There is trouble at other sporting events, it's just not widely reported on and not so wide spread. Football and racism are the current buzz words. It will move onto to something else soon. Maybe if some of the player started behaving then the fans would follow.......... joking.
Football has many issues in my opinion. As well as the fan's behaviour, I actually agree that what goes on whilst on the field is also disgraceful. The diving and the abuse to the referee could all be stamped out but the governing bodies decide not to. Kids do follow what their idols are doing, and it's no surprise that I've seen under 10's games, and some of the kids are swearing at the ref. They could bring in a rule tomorrow to say that nobody is allowed to challenge the referee, similar to rugby, otherwise it's a yellow card. There'd be loads of sendings off to start with, but they'd soon learn to shut their mouths, and the game at all levels would benefit.
[quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PaulErith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]the wall[/bold] wrote: Oh look it's not Millwall. So come on PaulErith leave a comment or do you only comment on the reports about Millwall. They were also heard to be chanting........ So when did that become a crime? and what were they chanting?[/p][/quote]I take it you haven't read a comment I wrote on a story about crowd trouble at Millwall v Charlton? You'll find that I said that I was disappointed by the behaviour of Charlton fans at the ground. I witnessed coins being thrown and abusive behaviour towards to the stewards. I hope they're caught and banned.[/p][/quote]No I haven't, but the comments were getting boring on that report so I gave up. But well done for speaking out. There is trouble at other sporting events, it's just not widely reported on and not so wide spread. Football and racism are the current buzz words. It will move onto to something else soon. Maybe if some of the player started behaving then the fans would follow.......... joking.[/p][/quote]Football has many issues in my opinion. As well as the fan's behaviour, I actually agree that what goes on whilst on the field is also disgraceful. The diving and the abuse to the referee could all be stamped out but the governing bodies decide not to. Kids do follow what their idols are doing, and it's no surprise that I've seen under 10's games, and some of the kids are swearing at the ref. They could bring in a rule tomorrow to say that nobody is allowed to challenge the referee, similar to rugby, otherwise it's a yellow card. There'd be loads of sendings off to start with, but they'd soon learn to shut their mouths, and the game at all levels would benefit. PaulErith

9:44am Tue 18 Dec 12

Trumpytomtom says...

Perhaps they were singing the erastus piggott poem?

Bunch of scarfers LMAO
Perhaps they were singing the erastus piggott poem? Bunch of scarfers LMAO Trumpytomtom

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree