Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Smoke alarm alerts elderly man to flat fire in Gravesend
AN ELDERLY man was woken by a smoke alarm after a fire broke out in a block of flats in Gravesend this morning (November 28).
Three fire engines were called to the third floor landing of a block of flats in Parrock Street at 2:43am.
It is believed the fire started in an electrical intake cupboard.
The man, who is in his late 60s, was taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters ventilated the flat before using a thermal imaging camera to check for any remaining hotspots.
Thames-side watch manager Lee Murphy said: "When the smoke alarm sounded, it woke the elderly man who got out of his smoke-logged flat to safety.
“Thanks to the working smoke alarms in the flats, the residents had an early warning to the fire and were able to get out safely.
He added: "People don't realise, it's not the heat but the smoke which is most dangerous if a fire breaks out in your home.
“Just three breaths of fire smoke can knock you unconscious. Babies, children and older people are most at risk, as their bodies are less able to cope.”
Comments are closed on this article.