Comet refuses to give disabled Orpington woman a refund for faulty fridge

A DISABLED woman has been left in the lurch by bust retailer Comet.

Dawn Pearson, of Osgood Avenue, in Orpington, bought a £500 fridge freezer in January from the electrical firm, which went into administration on November 2.

She says the appliance turned out to be faulty and she’s been struggling to get a refund ever since.

Comet allegedly disputed there was a problem with the item for around nine months, at first suggesting Mrs Pearson, who has Multiple sclerosis (MS) and serious lung condition Bronchiectasis, was putting in food the wrong way.

The 68 year-old has been forced to store food in a 20-year old fridge in the garage, which is falling apart from the inside.

After much wrangling, she asked an engineer friend to have a look and he said there was a problem with the insulation which she says a Comet employee later confirmed.

Allegedly the firm eventually offered to give her the money back three days before going into administration, after which, staff told her they don’t know when she’ll get a refund.

She said: “The aftercare from Comet was appalling.

“It’s been really hard having to go back and forth getting food from the garage.

“I think the situation has been a waste of time from both sides.

“It’s been exhausting. I wish I’d bought it from somewhere else but then, hindsight’s a wonderful thing.

“I even spent about £170 on the extended warranty.”

Mrs Pearson said she hopes by speaking out, other people who have had similar experiences with the chain, will come forward.

“It would be great if other people can come forward, we can fight our case together.

“It could take months and months to get the money back. I just don’t know what’s happening.”

Private accountancy firm Deloitte, is now acting as administrator for Comet and is trying to find a buyer for the struggling retailer.

News Shopper has approached them for a comment on the situation and is awaiting a response.

Have you had problems with Comet? Are you struggling to get a refund since the firm went into administration? Call the newsdesk on 01689 885 721 or email hwood@london.newsquest.co.uk

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:12pm Mon 19 Nov 12

the wall says...

Maybe some of the hundreds of staff losing their jobs can have a wipe round for you.


Take it up with manufacturer.
Maybe some of the hundreds of staff losing their jobs can have a wipe round for you. Take it up with manufacturer. the wall
  • Score: 0

3:31pm Mon 19 Nov 12

PaulErith says...

What has the fact that she's disabled got to do with it?
What has the fact that she's disabled got to do with it? PaulErith
  • Score: 0

4:05pm Mon 19 Nov 12

Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott says...

“'It’s been really hard having to go back and forth getting food from the garage.'

It never seems to bother most Erithians. They just love those Pot Noodles.
“'It’s been really hard having to go back and forth getting food from the garage.' It never seems to bother most Erithians. They just love those Pot Noodles. Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott
  • Score: 0

4:09pm Mon 19 Nov 12

PaulErith says...

Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott wrote:
“'It’s been really hard having to go back and forth getting food from the garage.' It never seems to bother most Erithians. They just love those Pot Noodles.
Granted, I guess it could be difficult to go back and forth to the garage. But there's probably a lot of people in the same sort of position. Maybe some of them don't have any back up. It's a very unfortunate position to be in when a company goes into admin.

As you say, pot noodles and cup-a-soups seems the order of the day!
[quote][p][bold]Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott[/bold] wrote: “'It’s been really hard having to go back and forth getting food from the garage.' It never seems to bother most Erithians. They just love those Pot Noodles.[/p][/quote]Granted, I guess it could be difficult to go back and forth to the garage. But there's probably a lot of people in the same sort of position. Maybe some of them don't have any back up. It's a very unfortunate position to be in when a company goes into admin. As you say, pot noodles and cup-a-soups seems the order of the day! PaulErith
  • Score: 0

4:21pm Mon 19 Nov 12

johninLeeds says...

Have just read your story in "News Shopper" about the disabled lady in Orpington who was refused a refund on faulty goods by Comet.

I have a precisely similar story to tell. Even though Comet finally accepted liability for delivering faulty goods to me (it took them weeks to do so), they still have not sent me a full refund of £107.98 which they promised back on October 13th. Now Comet is unavailable - except through the administrators.
Pity your other correspondents cannot treat this story of corporate deceitfulness with a little less cynicsm
Have just read your story in "News Shopper" about the disabled lady in Orpington who was refused a refund on faulty goods by Comet. I have a precisely similar story to tell. Even though Comet finally accepted liability for delivering faulty goods to me (it took them weeks to do so), they still have not sent me a full refund of £107.98 which they promised back on October 13th. Now Comet is unavailable - except through the administrators. Pity your other correspondents cannot treat this story of corporate deceitfulness with a little less cynicsm johninLeeds
  • Score: 0

4:23pm Mon 19 Nov 12

Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott says...

PaulErith wrote:
Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott wrote:
“'It’s been really hard having to go back and forth getting food from the garage.' It never seems to bother most Erithians. They just love those Pot Noodles.
Granted, I guess it could be difficult to go back and forth to the garage. But there's probably a lot of people in the same sort of position. Maybe some of them don't have any back up. It's a very unfortunate position to be in when a company goes into admin.

As you say, pot noodles and cup-a-soups seems the order of the day!
What's your favourite flavour, Paul?

I reckon it's of the hot and spicy variety. Though I could be wrong.
[quote][p][bold]PaulErith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott[/bold] wrote: “'It’s been really hard having to go back and forth getting food from the garage.' It never seems to bother most Erithians. They just love those Pot Noodles.[/p][/quote]Granted, I guess it could be difficult to go back and forth to the garage. But there's probably a lot of people in the same sort of position. Maybe some of them don't have any back up. It's a very unfortunate position to be in when a company goes into admin. As you say, pot noodles and cup-a-soups seems the order of the day![/p][/quote]What's your favourite flavour, Paul? I reckon it's of the hot and spicy variety. Though I could be wrong. Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Mon 19 Nov 12

Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott says...

johninLeeds wrote:
Have just read your story in "News Shopper" about the disabled lady in Orpington who was refused a refund on faulty goods by Comet.

I have a precisely similar story to tell. Even though Comet finally accepted liability for delivering faulty goods to me (it took them weeks to do so), they still have not sent me a full refund of £107.98 which they promised back on October 13th. Now Comet is unavailable - except through the administrators.
Pity your other correspondents cannot treat this story of corporate deceitfulness with a little less cynicsm
Come on, John. It is the British way to laugh in the face of adversity.

Goodness knows what you'd have done in the war if your life falls apart as a result of receiving some 'faulty goods'.
[quote][p][bold]johninLeeds[/bold] wrote: Have just read your story in "News Shopper" about the disabled lady in Orpington who was refused a refund on faulty goods by Comet. I have a precisely similar story to tell. Even though Comet finally accepted liability for delivering faulty goods to me (it took them weeks to do so), they still have not sent me a full refund of £107.98 which they promised back on October 13th. Now Comet is unavailable - except through the administrators. Pity your other correspondents cannot treat this story of corporate deceitfulness with a little less cynicsm[/p][/quote]Come on, John. It is the British way to laugh in the face of adversity. Goodness knows what you'd have done in the war if your life falls apart as a result of receiving some 'faulty goods'. Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott
  • Score: 0

4:45pm Mon 19 Nov 12

the wall says...

johninLeeds wrote:
Have just read your story in "News Shopper" about the disabled lady in Orpington who was refused a refund on faulty goods by Comet.

I have a precisely similar story to tell. Even though Comet finally accepted liability for delivering faulty goods to me (it took them weeks to do so), they still have not sent me a full refund of £107.98 which they promised back on October 13th. Now Comet is unavailable - except through the administrators.
Pity your other correspondents cannot treat this story of corporate deceitfulness with a little less cynicsm
Got an thing in writing?

corporate deceitfulness - Really. The company is in the hands of the administrators. 100s are losing their jobs. If you don't like the laws in this country move to another or write to your MP and get them changed.
[quote][p][bold]johninLeeds[/bold] wrote: Have just read your story in "News Shopper" about the disabled lady in Orpington who was refused a refund on faulty goods by Comet. I have a precisely similar story to tell. Even though Comet finally accepted liability for delivering faulty goods to me (it took them weeks to do so), they still have not sent me a full refund of £107.98 which they promised back on October 13th. Now Comet is unavailable - except through the administrators. Pity your other correspondents cannot treat this story of corporate deceitfulness with a little less cynicsm[/p][/quote]Got an thing in writing? corporate deceitfulness - Really. The company is in the hands of the administrators. 100s are losing their jobs. If you don't like the laws in this country move to another or write to your MP and get them changed. the wall
  • Score: 0

4:48pm Mon 19 Nov 12

johninLeeds says...

Lord Erastus wrote:
Come on, John. It is the British way to laugh in the face of adversity.

Goodness knows what you'd have done in the war if your life falls apart as a result of receiving some 'faulty goods'.

Is it the "British way" to laugh at asset stripping, throwing people out of work and dishonest business practice? Maybe it is, more's the pity
Lord Erastus wrote: Come on, John. It is the British way to laugh in the face of adversity. Goodness knows what you'd have done in the war if your life falls apart as a result of receiving some 'faulty goods'. Is it the "British way" to laugh at asset stripping, throwing people out of work and dishonest business practice? Maybe it is, more's the pity johninLeeds
  • Score: 0

4:52pm Mon 19 Nov 12

Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott says...

'Is it the "British way" to laugh at asset stripping, throwing people out of work and dishonest business practice? Maybe it is, more's the pity'

Yes, I'm afraid it is. Have you never wondered about the expression, 'stiff upper lip'?
'Is it the "British way" to laugh at asset stripping, throwing people out of work and dishonest business practice? Maybe it is, more's the pity' Yes, I'm afraid it is. Have you never wondered about the expression, 'stiff upper lip'? Lord Erastus Theobald Piggott
  • Score: 0

5:28pm Mon 19 Nov 12

Sue vdv says...

Some stupid and rather unnecessary comments on here about this poor lady's plight. If she paid with a credit card maybe she can get some redress from them. And in answer to what is the fact that she is disabled to do with this story, well obviously if she is disabled it must be extremely difficult for her to keep having to go into her garage so how about some sympathy instead of sarcastic comments!
Some stupid and rather unnecessary comments on here about this poor lady's plight. If she paid with a credit card maybe she can get some redress from them. And in answer to what is the fact that she is disabled to do with this story, well obviously if she is disabled it must be extremely difficult for her to keep having to go into her garage so how about some sympathy instead of sarcastic comments! Sue vdv
  • Score: 0

7:15pm Mon 19 Nov 12

madras says...

and worth looking also to the extended warranty if it is with an independent company
and worth looking also to the extended warranty if it is with an independent company madras
  • Score: 0

10:21pm Mon 19 Nov 12

Beckenham Chris says...

Disabled people should be treated the same as non disableds so what the hell has the fact she is disabled got to do with anything ?

Is she also thick ? I ask this because as she has a warranty she can claim on but maybe she is also blind ? and cannot read the warranty !
Disabled people should be treated the same as non disableds so what the hell has the fact she is disabled got to do with anything ? Is she also thick ? I ask this because as she has a warranty she can claim on but maybe she is also blind ? and cannot read the warranty ! Beckenham Chris
  • Score: 0

11:07pm Mon 19 Nov 12

lollie,erith says...

very nasty comments. very sad.
very nasty comments. very sad. lollie,erith
  • Score: 0

11:59pm Mon 19 Nov 12

Gypo.Joe says...

Beckenham Chris wrote:
Disabled people should be treated the same as non disableds so what the hell has the fact she is disabled got to do with anything ?

Is she also thick ? I ask this because as she has a warranty she can claim on but maybe she is also blind ? and cannot read the warranty !
Yes there we have it, the disabled want to be treated the same as all of us until they can use the disability to their advantage.


Then the card comes out.
[quote][p][bold]Beckenham Chris[/bold] wrote: Disabled people should be treated the same as non disableds so what the hell has the fact she is disabled got to do with anything ? Is she also thick ? I ask this because as she has a warranty she can claim on but maybe she is also blind ? and cannot read the warranty ![/p][/quote]Yes there we have it, the disabled want to be treated the same as all of us until they can use the disability to their advantage. Then the card comes out. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 0

6:44am Tue 20 Nov 12

Marty1979 says...

madras wrote:
and worth looking also to the extended warranty if it is with an independent company
She spent £170 on extended warranty - so has the warranty company gone bust as well, meaning any aren't worth the paper they're written on
[quote][p][bold]madras[/bold] wrote: and worth looking also to the extended warranty if it is with an independent company[/p][/quote]She spent £170 on extended warranty - so has the warranty company gone bust as well, meaning any aren't worth the paper they're written on Marty1979
  • Score: 0

9:11am Tue 20 Nov 12

MsChevious says...

First of all, re: disability. People who are disabled should not be treated the same, they should be treated according to need. If they *need* extra help and adaptations to engage in life like non-disabled people do then that's what they should get. For example - treated disabled people the same means not have large print books in libraries or induction loops in lecture theatres - the lack of which would exclude people from participating in society.

However, I agree that her disability has little to do with this case.

In terms of the company it's not their choice anymore - the administrators decide who's debts come first and as others have rightly pointed out she should approach the manufacturer.

John In Leeds - ditto - take it to the company who made the goods. Also, we know you're just read this piece, given that you're commenting on it!!
First of all, re: disability. People who are disabled should not be treated the same, they should be treated according to need. If they *need* extra help and adaptations to engage in life like non-disabled people do then that's what they should get. For example - treated disabled people the same means not have large print books in libraries or induction loops in lecture theatres - the lack of which would exclude people from participating in society. However, I agree that her disability has little to do with this case. In terms of the company it's not their choice anymore - the administrators decide who's debts come first and as others have rightly pointed out she should approach the manufacturer. John In Leeds - ditto - take it to the company who made the goods. Also, we know you're just read this piece, given that you're commenting on it!! MsChevious
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Tue 20 Nov 12

dontpannic says...

It is common knowledge that Comet are in administration. Therefore, a separate company is running Comet meaning that all existing policies no longer necessarily apply.

Yes, its very unfortunate that she can now not get a refund (mentioning that she is disabled will not make a blind bit of difference). As Comet technically no longer exists, money cannot go out of the company (refunds, etc).

The Fridge will have a manufacturers warranty. Get in touch with whoever made the fridge.
It is common knowledge that Comet are in administration. Therefore, a separate company is running Comet meaning that all existing policies no longer necessarily apply. Yes, its very unfortunate that she can now not get a refund (mentioning that she is disabled will not make a blind bit of difference). As Comet technically no longer exists, money cannot go out of the company (refunds, etc). The Fridge will have a manufacturers warranty. Get in touch with whoever made the fridge. dontpannic
  • Score: 0

4:10pm Tue 20 Nov 12

dontpannic says...

In addition to my previous comment - Comet do not provide extended warranties themselves. They are provided by a third party company.

Therefore, all the lady has to do is phone up (I think it's masterplan?) who provide the warranty, and get the unit repaired.
In addition to my previous comment - Comet do not provide extended warranties themselves. They are provided by a third party company. Therefore, all the lady has to do is phone up (I think it's masterplan?) who provide the warranty, and get the unit repaired. dontpannic
  • Score: 0

7:25pm Tue 20 Nov 12

2bobsworth says...

Gypo.Joe wrote:
Beckenham Chris wrote:
Disabled people should be treated the same as non disableds so what the hell has the fact she is disabled got to do with anything ?

Is she also thick ? I ask this because as she has a warranty she can claim on but maybe she is also blind ? and cannot read the warranty !
Yes there we have it, the disabled want to be treated the same as all of us until they can use the disability to their advantage.


Then the card comes out.
says gypo joe lol who (if he is a gypo) is also guilty of pulling the ol minority card card out haha
[quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beckenham Chris[/bold] wrote: Disabled people should be treated the same as non disableds so what the hell has the fact she is disabled got to do with anything ? Is she also thick ? I ask this because as she has a warranty she can claim on but maybe she is also blind ? and cannot read the warranty ![/p][/quote]Yes there we have it, the disabled want to be treated the same as all of us until they can use the disability to their advantage. Then the card comes out.[/p][/quote]says gypo joe lol who (if he is a gypo) is also guilty of pulling the ol minority card card out haha 2bobsworth
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Tue 20 Nov 12

Gypo.Joe says...

2bobsworth wrote:
Gypo.Joe wrote:
Beckenham Chris wrote:
Disabled people should be treated the same as non disableds so what the hell has the fact she is disabled got to do with anything ?

Is she also thick ? I ask this because as she has a warranty she can claim on but maybe she is also blind ? and cannot read the warranty !
Yes there we have it, the disabled want to be treated the same as all of us until they can use the disability to their advantage.


Then the card comes out.
says gypo joe lol who (if he is a gypo) is also guilty of pulling the ol minority card card out haha
Your point is ? What have I tried to gain from the user name I choose to use.

Run along numb nuts.
[quote][p][bold]2bobsworth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gypo.Joe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beckenham Chris[/bold] wrote: Disabled people should be treated the same as non disableds so what the hell has the fact she is disabled got to do with anything ? Is she also thick ? I ask this because as she has a warranty she can claim on but maybe she is also blind ? and cannot read the warranty ![/p][/quote]Yes there we have it, the disabled want to be treated the same as all of us until they can use the disability to their advantage. Then the card comes out.[/p][/quote]says gypo joe lol who (if he is a gypo) is also guilty of pulling the ol minority card card out haha[/p][/quote]Your point is ? What have I tried to gain from the user name I choose to use. Run along numb nuts. Gypo.Joe
  • Score: 0

11:41pm Tue 20 Nov 12

Outandabout says...

It is irrelevant if the person is disabled. The Supply of Goods and services act applies to all. So the person can take action regardless. It is an easy solution, if the warrenty company refuse to act she makes a claim in the County Court for 'breach of contract' because the goods are 'not of a satisfactory quality and fit for purpose' and further lists the warrenty company for failing to abide by the contract with her. If the person is only in receipt of benefits or on low income there is a 'fee remission' form so the action is free. Once she has judgement she can enforce with bailiffs. It really is a simple process
It is irrelevant if the person is disabled. The Supply of Goods and services act applies to all. So the person can take action regardless. It is an easy solution, if the warrenty company refuse to act she makes a claim in the County Court for 'breach of contract' because the goods are 'not of a satisfactory quality and fit for purpose' and further lists the warrenty company for failing to abide by the contract with her. If the person is only in receipt of benefits or on low income there is a 'fee remission' form so the action is free. Once she has judgement she can enforce with bailiffs. It really is a simple process Outandabout
  • Score: 0

10:16am Wed 21 Nov 12

Erith chap says...

Agreed 'Outandabout'

The situation is unfortunate, I'm sure she'd get her money back if the company wasn't in administration, but they are, highlighting her as a disabled person has nothing to do with the matter, and nor should it.
Agreed 'Outandabout' The situation is unfortunate, I'm sure she'd get her money back if the company wasn't in administration, but they are, highlighting her as a disabled person has nothing to do with the matter, and nor should it. Erith chap
  • Score: 0

10:59am Wed 21 Nov 12

Bob Hope/No Hope says...

NON-STORY AGAIN. NS YOU ARE A JOKE.
NON-STORY AGAIN. NS YOU ARE A JOKE. Bob Hope/No Hope
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree