Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Dartford woman burned after tackling fire with dressing gown
A WOMAN was burned after tackling a fire with a dressing gown at her Dartford home.
Crews were called to Phoenix Place shortly before 6am this morning (November 1) after residents discovered a fire in their living room.
Despite calling the emergency services, a woman attempted to tackle the fire by using a dressing gown to smother the flames, which although successful, resulted in her getting burned when the dressing gown also caught alight.
The fire started after a candle left burning unattended set light to clothing on a table.
Both residents were asleep at the time and only became aware of the incident when their smoke alarm sounded.
The woman was treated at the scene by ambulance crews and did not need to attend hospital.
Dartford watch manager, David Boakes, said: "This incident highlights just how dangerous even a small fire can be.
"Candles should never be left burning unattended.
"Unfortunately people often treat candles and tea lights as decorations but they can cause damage, destruction and even death.
"We want to help everyone keep themselves, their loved ones and homes safe from the threat of fire, so if you are using candles, please use them carefully.
"Finally, please remember if you are unfortunate to have a fire in your home, the safest option is to get out, stay out, and call the fire service out".
Kent Fire and Rescue Service advice
- Always place the candles in a suitable holder on a heat resistant surface
- Never place on a TV, stereo, bath or other plastic surface
- Don’t let anything fall into the hot wax
- Keep candles well away from anything that could easily catch fire e.g. never place under a shelf
- Keep candles away from draughts
- Keep candles away from children and pets
- Never leave a candle alight unattended
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home
For more information, call 0800 923 7000 or visit 3breaths.info
Comments are closed on this article.