Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Harrow East (House of Commons)
Mr Bob Blackman MP (Conservative)
Surgery: 209 Headstone Lane
Surgery Tel: 020 8421 3323
MP Since - 2010 Majority - 3,403 Born - 26/04/1956. Married.
Education - Preston Manor High School. University of Liverpool (President of the Students Union).
Previous Occupation - Worked in sales for Unisys. Worked for BT in Sales Management, Sales Training and latterly Regulatory Compliance Manager for BT (1992-2004).
Personal Overview - Experienced local politician who successfully gained the Harrow East seat in 2010. A former Greater London Authority member for Brent & Harrow seat until 2008, when he unexpectedly lost to the Labour challenger. Within London he had also reached the last 4 in the Conservative selection process for the 2000 Mayoral elections. Had been involved in Local Government at Brent Council for over 16 years prior to his election to the GLA, which is likely to have given him a strong local profile. One of his priorities as a Councillor has been to improve relations with local ethnic minorities in Brent.
Political History - Councillor, Brent BC (1986-) (Preston Ward), has been Conservative Group Leader (1990-), Council Leader (1991-96). Candidate for Brent South at the 1992 General Election, Bedford & Kempston in 1997, Brent North (2005). GLA candidate for Brent & Harrow in 2000. GLA Member for Brent & Harrow (2004-08). Member of the Budget Committee (2004-08). Deputy Chairman of the Economic Development, Culture, Sport and Tourism Committee (2005-08). Member of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority. Former Conservative Group Whip. MP Harrow East (2010-). Member of the Communities & Local Government Select Committee (2010-). Member of the Backbench Business Committee (2012-).
Characteristics - Has been a Governor at Preston Manor High School. Former Captain of Sudbury Court Cricket Club 4th XI and 3rd XI and was Fixture Secretary. Manager of St. Nicholas Football Club (1980-86), League Winners (1985-86), Cup Winners (1984-85). Has held a Season Ticket with Tottenham Hotspur FC since 1979. His wife has also been a Brent Councillor.
Business Tel: 020 7219 7082
Interests: Health,Local Government
- Communities & Local Government Committee (Member)
- Backbench Business Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group against Antisemitism (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Bridge Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Building Societies and Financial Mutuals (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Cancer (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Childcare (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Justice for Equitable Life Policy Holders (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Heart Disease (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Home Safety Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Irish in Britain (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Learning Disability (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Long Term Conditions (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Media Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Motor Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Outsourcing and Shared Services (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Primary Care and Public Health (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Racing and Bloodstock Industries Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Religious Education (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Scout Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Smoking and Health (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Social Care (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Speech and Language Difficulties (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Transplantation (Member)
- Azerbaijan Group (Secretary)
- Indo-British Group (Treasurer)
- All-Party Britain-Israel Parliamentary Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Oman (Member)
Brent and Harrow (Greater London Authority)
Mr Navin Shah AM (Labour)
GLA Member Since - 2008 Majority - 29,796 Born - 19.
Education - Educated locally.
Previous Occupation - Architect and Planner.
Personal Overview - Experienced local politician who successfully gained the Brent & Harrow seat from the Conservatives in 2008 defying the national trend. He is a former Leader of Harrow BC and has been politically active in the area for 30 years. Has a distinctive background as the son of a former freedom fighter in India. He has stated that he joined the Labour Party due to his 'deep socialist beliefs' and that this encouraged him to become active in working with voluntary organisations in his local area. locally, he has also shown interest in planning and regeneration projects, he was involved in the Harrow Town Centre Regeneration and on the Wembley Stadium project (in consultation with Harrow Council and the neighbouring Authority to Brent). He has also worked on strategic issues within London such as the London Olympics and the Mayor's London Plan (through the West London Alliance of 6 West London Boroughs including Harrow). He has been involved in the Leader's Committee at London Councils (formerly Association of London Government), where he was on the Poverty and Crime and Safety Panels. He has worked with the Metropolitan Police Authority to establish safer neighbourhood teams as well as on the London Safety Plan via his membership of the London Fire Emergency Planning Authority.
Political History - Councillor, Harrow BC, Council Leader (2004-06), Labour Group Leader (2006-08). Has been a member of the National Panel of the Labour Party Ethnic Minority Taskforce. GLA PR list candidate (2000). GLA Member for Brent & Harrow (2008-). Deputy Chairman of the Audit Panel (2008-). Deputy Chairman of the Health and Public Services Committee (2008-). Member of the Planning and Housing Committee (2008-). Member of the Metropolitan Police Authority (2008). Member of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Committee (2008-).
Other Information - Member of Amicus and the Co-operative Party. Member of Harrow Fabian Society. Executive Member of the Council for Racial Equality, Founder (1990) and Trustee of the Harrow Anti-Racist Alliance. Member of Harrow Police Community Consultative Group. Has been a member of the London Fire Emergency Planning Authority. Founder member of Wishram (1990), a group which addresses learning difficulties. Alternative email address is email@example.com
All Party Groups - N/a.
Business Tel: 020 7983 4377
Interests: Community Cohesion,Housing,Discrimination,Planning Issues
- Health & Public Services Committee (Vice Chairman)
- Planning and Housing Committee (Member)
London (European Parliament)
Ms Marina Yannakoudakis MEP (Conservative)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 16/04/1956. Married, 3 children.
Education - Brunel University, BSC in Government, Politics and Modern History. Open University, MA in Education.
Previous Occupation - Financial Director of a family business (pan-European).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament from third place on the London Conservative Party list. Has been involved running a small business for over 23 years with experience negotiating in in Europe on behalf of her UK clients. She has campaigned to reduce regulation on business, reducing EU waste and fraud and on the sensible managing of migration. She also has experience raising funds for charity, as a former Chair of the Mayor of Barnet's Charity Appeal 2005/06 raising money for the mental health charity MIND.
Political History - Councillor, London Borough of Barnet. Has been Deputy Chairman of Chipping Barnet Conservative Association. MEP London Region (2009-). Membe rof the Delegation to the EU-Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Joint Parliamentary Committee (2009-). Substitute member of the Delegation for relations with Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo (2009-). Member of the Women's Rights and Gender Equality Committee (2009-). Member of the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee (2009-).
Other Information - School Governor. She was a Chairman of the Federation of Conservative Students at Brunel University and Chairperson for Communications on it's Student Union Executive. In her spare time she plays the saxophone and produces her own sculptures which she donates to charity.
Intergroups - N/a.
Interests: Small Business,Business & Finance,Local Government
- Environment, Public Health & Food Safety (Member)
- Women's Rights & Gender Equality (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org