Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Fox cubs die after being snared in football netting in a Catford garden
TWO fox cubs suffered a painful death over several days after becoming entangled in football netting in a Catford garden.
An RSPCA officer was "particularly shocked" when he discovered one dead cub and another who had to be put to sleep after it was found with its leg hanging off.
Animal Collection Officer Zenon Brown was called out to rescue the foxes trapped in Muirkirk Road, Catford, on May 14.
Mr Brown said: "Of the many tens of 'netting jobs' each officer attends each year this one particularly shocked me because the poor animal would have suffered for days before almost certainly dying of hunger."
The live fox was snared in the discarded football netting and had its head stuck in fencing. It was cut free but had to be put down to end its intense suffering.
Officer Brown said the situation could easily have been avoided if people disposed of unwanted and dangerous litter in a caring and responsible way.
He said: "A fox has no awareness of the potential danger to life or serious injury that netting presents.
"In most cases and especially with nylon netting, it causes extreme suffering to the animal that becomes trapped and this is made worse as it struggles to free itself."
He went on to say the RSPCA deals with hundreds of wild animals trapped in netting every year, a few of whom require euthanasia while some go to hospital for injuries or open wounds.
The RSCPA is the UK’s leading animal welfare charity and rescues thousands of animals each year. To learn more visit rspca.org.uk
Comments are closed on this article.