Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Tracy Dyball's dogs die from suspected anti-freeze poisoning in Selsey Crescent, Welling
A WELLING woman is warning dog owners to be vigilant after two of her pets died from suspected anti-freeze poisoning.
Tracy Dyball, of Selsey Crescent, has been left "absolutely devastated" following the death of her seven-year-old Jack Russell, Polly, and 13-year-old Rottweiler, Bella.
The 51-year-old, who first rushed Polly to the vets on April 1, said: "She was lethargic. She couldn't go to the toilet and she wasn't eating.
"The vets thought it was a gastro thing and gave her some antibiotics."
But Polly's condition worsened and by April 3 she was having trouble breathing.
The family took her back to the vets but she died soon after.
Miss Dyball said: "When I got home my son came running out and said my rottweiler had collapsed in the garden.
"I took her straight to the vet and because of her age they didn't think she was going to survive so she had to be put to sleep.
"It was horrendous. To lose two dogs in one day, I couldn't believe it.
"They are not just dogs to us, they are part of the family."
The vet suspects both dogs were poisoned with anti-freeze but test results will not confirm this until the end of the week.
Miss Dyball, who has five other dogs, believes someone threw food laced with the chemical into her garden.
She told News Shopper: "It's a purpose poisoning. You don't have two dogs die from anti-freeze on the same day.
"If they do go to the park they are kept on leads. We are responsible dog owners."
Miss Dyball and her partner Gary Mitchell have checked their garden thoroughly since the incident and have been warning dog owners at the entrance to Stevens Park.
Miss Dyball said: "People should be made aware of how toxic this is to dogs. It's sweet and they just can't resist it."
She added: "I don't know why anyone would do this. Only absolute scum could do something like this."
A council spokeswoman said: “We are sorry to hear about the death of Ms Dyball's pets.
“We can confirm that the council's contractors, Kier Grounds Maintenance Services, have not used pesticides or chemicals in Stevens Park that could have lead or contributed to the death of the dogs.”
An RSPCA spokeswoman told News Shopper: "It causes more harm usually to cats because it tastes very sweet to them, but it can also cause a lot of problems for dogs.
"Whoever did this has committed an offence and can be liable to up to six months in prison and a fine of up to £25,000."
She added: "It causes absolute agony and a very slow painful death. For anyone to do this deliberately is quite outrageous."
Anyone with information about this incident should contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.
Comments are closed on this article.