Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Japanese photographer exhibits his uniquely poetic artwork in Brockley
A poetic artist has travelled from Japan to bring us his unique and reflective masterpieces.
Ron L Zheng is exhibiting his beautiful abstract photographs, which each feature their own poems, at cueB Gallery in Brockley.
The talented 42-year-old gave up work as a web designer to become a professional artist five years ago, when he coined the term Poetography to describe his pensive style.
His black and white collection Slow Train on a Rainy Day will be displayed at the venue until September 23.
Ron, who spends most of his time in America, told Vibe: “My dad always said art was not a way to make a living so I tried to avoid it, but I loved art.
“I was working as a web designer, then at a retirement centre and when I was counselling people I thought ‘I like people to listen to me instead’, so I quit the job.
“I started a stock dealership company, made some money, and used it to go to art school.”
Ron decided to give himself an edge by mixing Tanka poetry with his photographs.
He added: “If you see my pictures, they are so abstract – sometimes you don’t know what’s going on.
“I like to tell a bit more of the story with poetry.
“They are pictures of everyday life things, sometimes the words come first and sometimes the pictures come before.
“I try to give away 60 per cent of the story and the other 40 per cent is for the audience to continue their own story and reflect.”
This will be the first time Ron has exhibited at cueB Gallery, where people are also able to sit and enjoy refreshments in the cafe.
He added: “With people eating there I feel like I’m getting closer to them – they are getting closer to my art.
“It’s a different situation.
“I was a little nervous when I heard people will be eating near the work, with their greasy hands.
“But I really like it.
“I feel like I’m getting so close to them.
“I had a coffee there the other day and I was surrounded by my art – I felt like it was holding me, like being in an art cocoon.”
Ron says looking at his pieces in books does not compare to seeing it in real life.
He added: “If you don’t come and see it you will never get it.
“Seeing it in a book is only 50 per cent, the rest you have to experience for yourself.”