TIPPED by experts as one of the picks of the year, a Forest Hill author is preparing to release her debut novel.
Jessie Burton studied at Oxford University and Central School of Speech and Drama before working as an actress – according to her website, “as 3rd mute from the left in various theatrical productions around this fair isle” and a PA in the City.
Now she has written The Miniaturist, a tale of appearance and truth, love and obsession, betrayal and retribution set in 1686.
The book will be published on July 3 and has already garnered rave reviews from critics who have had a sneak peek.
The Observer described Jessie as a ’genuinely new voice’ and a ‘debut novelist who’ll be making a splash this year’, while the Sunday Express, Stylist and Asos have all included in their hot lists for 2014.
Author of Tulip Fever, Deborah Maggach, said: “This is a remarkable debut – complex, involving and deeply atmospheric.”
- PICTURED: McBusted's Dougie Poynter and Tom Fletcher at Bluewater
- Meet McBusted's Dougie Poynter and Tom Fletcher at Bluewater next week
- Strictly adventurer Steve Backshall and Wimpy Kid author to sign books at Bluewater
- PICTURED: Youtube star Zoella meets fans at Bluewater signing
- Stat Chat: Top 10 items on Christmas gift wish-lists