Get involved: Send pictures, video, news and views - text NEWS SHOPPER to 80360 or email us
Recipe: American Beetroot Pie
11:21am Friday 18th October 2013 in Leisure latest news
Rich tasty and simple, this pie will go down a treat for Halloween.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
250g shortcrust pastry
325g plain cooked vacuum-packed beetroot, drained
75g soft brown sugar
2tsp ground mixed spice
½ tsp ground allspice (optional)
½ tsp ground ginger (optional)
250ml double cream
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C/Gas Mark 6.
2. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose bottomed pie tin.
3. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 20 minutes.
4. Whilst the pastry is baking, prepare the filling by pureeing the beetroot along with the eggs in a food processor.
5. In a small saucepan add the sugar, all the spices and cream and bring slowly up to a simmering point. Pour into the food processor and mix thoroughly with the beetroot puree.
6. Remove the pastry case from the oven and reduce the temperature to 180˚C/Gas Mark 4.
7. Pour the filling carefully into the pastry case and bake for around 25-30 minutes. The edge should be puffed up a little and the centre will still be a touch wobbly. Allow to cool and chill in the fridge. Serve with crème fraiche.
For more, go to lovebeetroot.co.uk
- Recipe: Celebrity chef teams up with care charity for recipe calendar
- Gravesend accountants swap spreadsheets for sandwiches to open tea room
- RECIPE: Mini Christmas Tiramisu
- UPDATED Taste Test: Christmas Puddings
- Do you scoff all your advent chocolate early? One in six do, according to research
Comments are closed on this article.