An historic Forest Hill pub has reopened following a quarter of a million pound makeover.
The Railway Telegraph, which opened in 1853, and is named after the telegraph system installed when the London Bridge line came through town that year, was closed for a month while renovations were carried out.
The new look - which includes a total repaint, signwriting, a new disabled toilet, better disabled access and the existing toilets revamped – was paid for by brewery Shepherd Neame and licensee Dusan Sofranac, who took over in April.
The floors have also been sanded, a log burner and copper beer pumps installed, the bar redesigned and antique furniture sourced.
A new menu, inspired by famous Victorian cook Mrs Beeton has been introduced.
One of the first celebrity chefs, Mrs Beeton was buried in West Norwood Cemetery, not far from the Railway Telegraph.
New menu items include the starter Victoria’s Crown – a Yorkshire pudding filled with delicate chicken liver and mushrooms topped with thick soured cream - slow braised ox cheek with bone marrow gravy for main course and poached quince, pear and prune compote with cinnamon and cream for dessert.
Licensee Dušan Šofranac pours a pint
- Feeling the heat? 5 of the best pub beer gardens in north Kent and south east London
- Can you work out this restaurant’s genuine EMOJI menu?
- Street Feast at Lewisham Model Market has extended its opening hours
- PICTURED: Inside Project Pie as Intu Bromley’s new restaurant terrace opens
- PICTURED: Chislehurst welcomes new French restaurant Oriel