'100' caravans have been spotted in a field in Crayford, after travellers pitched up yesterday and more joined them today.
The field is near Maxim Road opposite Sainsbury's supermarket and the greyhound stadium.
A woman who lives nearby, who did not want to be named, said: "It started off yesterday with about 30 or 50 caravans, and today there are even more, I'd say about 100.
"You could here the generators going all night and there's a smell in the air - a burnt smell, the smell of burning."
A police spokesman said: "Police were made aware at 4.29pm on Tuesday August 26 that a number of vehicles and caravans had set up in a field off Maxine Road in Crayford.
"Officers attended the site and are working with the landowners to resolve the matter."
Have you seen the travellers near Maxim Road? Do you have any photos? Send an e-mail to email@example.com
- Custody for 'bedroom jihadist' who groomed youth with learning difficulties to carry out Lee Rigby copycat killing
- West Wickham buzzing after wasp invasion
- What's on this weekend: days out and shows in south east London and north Kent on May 30 and 31
- Chislehurst mum and son ordered to repay £2.8m mortgage fraud or face more jail time
- More than £5,000 worth of jewellery stolen in two Eltham burglaries