'100' caravans have been spotted in a field in Crayford, after travellers pitched up yesterday and more joined them today.
The field is near Maxim Road opposite Sainsbury's supermarket and the greyhound stadium.
A woman who lives nearby, who did not want to be named, said: "It started off yesterday with about 30 or 50 caravans, and today there are even more, I'd say about 100.
"You could here the generators going all night and there's a smell in the air - a burnt smell, the smell of burning."
A police spokesman said: "Police were made aware at 4.29pm on Tuesday August 26 that a number of vehicles and caravans had set up in a field off Maxine Road in Crayford.
"Officers attended the site and are working with the landowners to resolve the matter."
Have you seen the travellers near Maxim Road? Do you have any photos? Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- UPDATE: Two arrests after 15-year-old girl gang-raped in Bromley park
- JAILED: Lidl cashier who let customers through without paying for everything
- Traffic through New Cross after gas leak sparks emergency repairs
- 'Bigoted and xenophobic': Councillors at war following 'vile' and 'hateful' protest in Sidcup
- Travellers pitch up on empty Ikea site in north Greenwich