'100' caravans have been spotted in a field in Crayford, after travellers pitched up yesterday and more joined them today.
The field is near Maxim Road opposite Sainsbury's supermarket and the greyhound stadium.
A woman who lives nearby, who did not want to be named, said: "It started off yesterday with about 30 or 50 caravans, and today there are even more, I'd say about 100.
"You could here the generators going all night and there's a smell in the air - a burnt smell, the smell of burning."
A police spokesman said: "Police were made aware at 4.29pm on Tuesday August 26 that a number of vehicles and caravans had set up in a field off Maxine Road in Crayford.
"Officers attended the site and are working with the landowners to resolve the matter."
Have you seen the travellers near Maxim Road? Do you have any photos? Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Man, 32, killed in M20 crash named as James Gosnell, from Plumstead
- Bexley man jailed after trying to rob DLR passenger
- Greenwich Council criticised for 'gambling £17m of taxpayers' money on fossil fuel investments
- QUIZ: Do you recognise the stars of film and TV in Greenwich Theatre’s archive photos?
- The Only Way is Wanted Wednesday: TOWIE reject features in Lewisham Police wanted list