Each week I will use this space to share my five thoughts of the week – the good, the bad and the ugly.
But, I’m not selfish, I’m also very happy to donate the space to guest writers to have their say, so write to me:
1. Jimmy Savile was a sick, perverted individual and it’s a great shame he wasn’t brought to justice while alive. However, I can’t help feeling the way other “celebrities” are now being hauled before the courts has more to do with the way the BBC acted at the time and the guilt certain individuals, who were in power at the Beeb then, feel now. How can Cliff possibly prove what he didn’t do 29 years ago?
2. I know beards are very much the in thing and I’m equally sure beard nets make the wearers look remarkably daft, but there’s hair cascading everywhere in the Great British Bake Off. I say, contain those bushy beards. And, thank goodness that lank ponytail has been voted off.
3. Has your school signed up for News Shopper’s Young Reporter scheme yet? We want to hear from London’s most talented teenage journalists. There are two age groups – years 10 and 11 and years 12 and 13. To get involved ring Diana Jarvis now on 020 8722 6378 or email email@example.com.
4. I bought my first car, about eighth hand I think, for £50 – perhaps not surprising in 1979. But, it never needed new tyres. These days my car seems to need new tyres every few months. Are tyres softer now and made to wear out quicker? Surely the roads today can’t be that much worse, can they?
5. Thanks very much to my 150th follower on Twitter. I don’t care what the others say, that photograph of yourself is incredible.
Thank you for reading.
Andrew Parkes, editor
Send in your 5THOUGHTS by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Send on Twitter to @parkestheeditor.
Send through Facebook to facebook.com/newsshopper. Or post: News Shopper, Mega House, Crest View Drive, Petts Wood, Kent BR5 1BT.
- London to Dumfries: Why celebrate Burns Night in this sleepy Scottish town?
- 116 Kodi add-ons you're probably watching that could be breaching copyright laws
- Pub chain will be first to tell drinkers how many calories they are consuming
- The best Kodi add-ons you CAN use without breaking copyright laws
- This 3D printer coming to Bromley is a SWEET deal - make an edible picture of yourself using candy