A family-of-three who had to flee their Welling home after a bolt of lightning set it on fire have been handed a lifeline by their local supermarket.
The Stacey family home in Springfield road was hit at around 3am on July 18 by a bolt which struck the TV aerial, shot down the cable and set a dining room cabinet ablaze.
Forty per cent of the downstairs at the three bedroom, semi-detached house in Springfield Road was destroyed by fire leaving Sharon Stacey, 41, 13-year-old son Aston, daughter Elsie, five, and dog Ruby all homeless.
But the Morrisons store round the corner in Welling High Street has chipped in with a gift of £150 vouchers to help the family, living temporarily in Greenhithe, get back on their feet.
Miss Stacey told News Shopper: "I’m very grateful for it and I didn’t expect it.
"It’s been a very traumatic time I must admit.
"People have been buying me shopping to help me get through because it’s been one thing after another to be honest.
Sharon with Julie Devonport.
"I’m in Morrisons every day normally because the house is just opposite.
"I know a few people in there through friends or just by going in there myself and I really appreciate what they are doing."
Julie Devonport is community champion at Welling Morrisons.
She said: "Sharon’s been a customer since we opened in 2009 and she’s always coming in.
"She’s made some friends here and we’re all concerned about what has happened to her.
"We came in in the morning and all our phone lines were down because that was how bad the storm was.
"It’s just unfortunate that it’s happened to her and we wanted to help out."
Benmore’s Beds in Bellegrove Road have also donated three mattresses to the Stacey family, who lost the ones they had to smoke damage.