A robber who grabbed a woman’s handbag in West Wickham has been jailed after a member of the public punched and chased him down.
Claudio Andres Figueroa-Rios, 24, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to attempted robbery at Croydon Crown Court on June 5 and was given a 10-month sentence.
On May 19 he snatched the victim’s bag as she was going into the HSBC bank in West Wickham High Street and tried to run off.
But a member of the public intervened, hitting Figueroa-Rios and causing him to let go of the stolen goods.
The robber was then chased to a nearby pub and restrained until the police arrived.
Figueroa-Rios, a Chilean national, had only been in the country a month when he committed the crime, having let his return ticket lapse while staying in Peckham.
- VIDEO: Is it fair bus driver lost his job after this brawl with passengers?
- VIDEO: Arson attack on Greenwich petrol station - suspect caught on camera
- What's on this weekend in south east London and north Kent (October 25 and 26)
- Police appeal after man takes double decker bus from Orpington bus depot and drives it to Shirley
- Queues at re-opened Dartford Tunnel following five-vehicle M25 crash