Catford’s Ben Elton has paid tribute to his good friend and comedy collaborator Rik Mayall.
Mayall, 56, died yesterday at his home in Barnes. It is not yet known what caused his unexpected death, though it is not thought to be suspicious.
The madcap comic was a leader in the alternative comedy movement and shot to fame as the poetry writing anarchist Rick in The Young Ones before going on to star in well-loved shows such as Bottom, Blackadder and the New Statesman.
Ben Elton, who was born in Catford, met Mayall at university and went on to write The Young Ones with him.
In a statement, he said: “I owe him so much, he changed my life utterly when he asked me to co-write The Young Ones with him and he was with me on the day I met my wife. He always made me cry with laughter, now he's just made me cry.”
- See it first in Bromley - Churchill Theatre announces launch new nationwide tours
- Theatre review: Matilda turns five in style in the West End
- 'It’s infectious and genuine and unbelievably powerful' - the Buddy Holly Story heading to Dartford
- Joe Pasquale tells us why he is excited about Snow White in Dartford this Christmas
- CBeebies stars sign up for Croydon panto