Waste4Fuel went up against the Environment Agency (EA) in the High Court today (March 28).
It came after the recycling company put forward an application to increase the amount of waste being brought into the controversial St Paul’s Cray site.
News Shopper reported earlier this month that Waste4Fuel filed an application on March 18, which if granted would allow 200 tonnes (the previous limit was 75) of waste to be offloaded per week.
The EA has expressed concern Waste4Fuel will not comply with a High Court order, acquired last year, which requires all combustible waste to be removed by May 1.
Jon Griffin, a team leader at the agency, this morning said the case has been adjourned for 28 days, noting the judge said the company’s compliance between now and the next appearance will be taken into account.
Mr Griffin, 34, told News Shopper: “We’ve been in court. All the defendants turned up, which is good.
“They are all going to be defending for the committal hearing.”
He had previously described progress of waste removal and continual fires at the Cornwall Drive site as “disappointing”.
He added: “The chances of them complying by May 1 are slim to none and they need to be held to account for not doing what they have been asked to do."
At the coming trial the EA will clash with current Waste4Fuel director Shelly Hurst, plant manager Jonathan Beckson, and Brian Hughes, who was in charge until February 1.
Residents nearby have been growing increasingly frustrated by the ongoing problems seen at the plant.
Many have mentioned worries about health problems as a result of fumes being emitted, with some members of the public being physically sick as a result.
In February this year Waste4Fuel was ordered to pay £8,960 after it was prosecuted by London Fire Brigade for stacking flammable in an illegal manner. Fire services have been called to deal with incidents at the site 12 times in the past 12 months.
- Victims of Camber Sands beach tragedy named locally as Woolwich student and Slade Green brothers
- As it happened: GCSE results day 2016 in south-east London and north Kent
- TRAVEL WARNING: Heavy traffic at Dartford Crossing due to car fire
- 'It makes me feel sick': Grandmother says 'disgusting' Bexleyheath car park is a health hazard
- WATCH: Shocking footage emerges of huge late-night fight in Dartford