Chislehurst’s past boxing industry star Kellie Maloney said she chose to reveal her new life because it would have come out eventually.
Kellie said other newspapers were threatening to ‘out her’ and so told her story to the Sunday Mirror last weekend (Aug 10).
The paper reported the former boxing promoter and manager has been receiving hormone treatment and is undergoing a sex change.
On ITV’s Good Morning Britain the 61-year-old explained “previously transgender people have been ridiculed in the press and I didn't want that to happen to me and I didn't want that to happen to others".
She said publishing the story has felt “like a complete release” and added: "I can do anything now.
"Because they know. I'm not living two lives anymore.”
Kellie has also hinted at returning to the boxing industry, taking up a role in the sport’s governing body.
- This is the shocking moment a Muslim mum was told to 'go and bomb the world' after argument in high street
- Revealed: These are food hygiene ratings for every restaurant in Orpington High Street
- Students 'trashed' a park in Bexley forcing teachers and the public to clean up after them
- Eltham teen hit 15 people while driving 69mph in a 30mph area
- Bearded dragon rescued from Mottingham house fire