Lewisham’s nightlife is looking up.
With the opening of the Street Feast market on Fridays and Saturdays and the attractive new Skye nightclub opening on the same weekend, there is reason to visit the town after dark.
Skye is a cool, mid-sized nightclub aimed at 18 to 35-year-olds, with three bars and DJs playing everything from house to R and B, anthems and club bangers.
At the moment, it is open to over 21s on Saturdays from 10pm to 3am, but manager John Fortune, 24, hopes to start midweek student nights soon.
He said: “We are hoping this could help create the start of a new nightlife in Lewisham and get it buzzing with activity, especially as Lewisham is currently ring-fenced for a full government regeneration program.”
He added: “We are not trying to compete with West End bars but we wish to maintain a certain standard and ensure a good atmosphere for everyone.”
Safety is paramount for John, who said there are eight security staff and a comprehensive CCTV system.
He said: “Unfortunately Lewisham does have some negative connotations attached to it, although those who know the area know that the disconnect between people’s beliefs of the area and the actual area itself, is vast – especially in the High Street which is, of course, only a stone’s throw from Europe's biggest police station.”
Get two for one drinks this Saturday by going to facebook.com/skyenightclub and printing the flyer.
- 5 things we learnt from Anthony Joshua’s world title win at The O2 on Saturday
- What's On: 13 reasons to go out this week in south London
- As it happened: all the action from Anthony Joshua's world title fight at The O2
- What you need to know about Pride in London this weekend
- 13 things not to be missed at Sydenham Arts’ Summer Festival and Arts Trail