Plant doctor Mark Reeve, of Coolings Garden Centre, gives his top 5 tips for beautiful hanging baskets and containers.
1. Use only top quality plants and compost. You will find cutting corners gives poor results.
2. Use water retaining gel in the compost to reduce watering and prevent the compost drying out quickly.
3. Feed plants every week around 6 weeks after planting. Most compost only has a limited amount of feed in it. You will get much better results if you use a high potash fertiliser.
4. Decide if your container is in sun or shade as this will determine what plants are suitable. Staff at reputable garden centres will be able to give you the correct advice.
5. Remove faded blooms to prolong your displays. Water in the morning or evening (or both when hot!) so that the water is not wasted through evaporation.
Go to coolings.co.uk
- VIDEO: Sydenham apprentice helps to build gold-medal garden at Chelsea Flower Show
- Pet owners warned to watch out for poisonous plants in Chelsea Flower Show week
- Chelsea Flower Show fringe comes to Forest Hill
- Avocado bathrooms to woodchip: 10 worst home improvement fails revealed
- Gardening expert's top tips on bulb planting and how to buy European flower markets