Plant doctor Mark Reeve, of Coolings Garden Centre, gives his top 5 tips for beautiful hanging baskets and containers.
1. Use only top quality plants and compost. You will find cutting corners gives poor results.
2. Use water retaining gel in the compost to reduce watering and prevent the compost drying out quickly.
3. Feed plants every week around 6 weeks after planting. Most compost only has a limited amount of feed in it. You will get much better results if you use a high potash fertiliser.
4. Decide if your container is in sun or shade as this will determine what plants are suitable. Staff at reputable garden centres will be able to give you the correct advice.
5. Remove faded blooms to prolong your displays. Water in the morning or evening (or both when hot!) so that the water is not wasted through evaporation.
Go to coolings.co.uk
- Expert colour psychologist reveals how to dress yourself happy this winter
- 6 interior design trends you’ll want to follow in 2016 – south London masterclass promises more inspiration
- 13 of our favourite Pets of the Week from 2015
- UPDATED: Even more of your Christmas pets - keep sending them
- Who knew Christmas dress shopping was so time-consuming? The average woman takes 8 hours and 9 shops…