Cash rebates could be given to the capital's commuters if they cycle or walk to work as more flexible travel options are proposed.
The London Assembly Tories today (April 10) put forward plans that would see cash given back on annual tickets - while encouraging healthier lifestyles.
If the changes were brought in residents in News Shopper areas such as Bromley and Beckenham, which are in zones 5/4, could get as much as £310.50 back.
The group is also urging Transport for London to bring in part-time travelcards, promised by the Mayor of London for 2015, to be introduced next year.
The suggestions follow two reports written by Conservative London Assembly member Roger Evans looking “at how to make flexible working cheaper and easier for Londoners.”
Mr Evans said: “These annual commuter refunds will encourage regular cycling and walking, and put cash back into your pocket for making those healthy choices.
“We have a once in a generation opportunity to fundamentally reform our patterns of work and how we travel.”
It is claimed improved flexibility would make it easier for people to work remotely, in turn reducing congestion at busy times.
Boris Johnson’s team has noted the mayor is open to discussing the ideas. A spokesman said: “The Mayor sees clear benefits in flexible ticketing and has asked TfL to introduce such arrangements from next year.
“As for cash rebates, this is an idea from GLA Conservatives that he notes with interest.
“He would welcome more detailed proposals as to how such a scheme would work in practice, which he would then be more than happy to discuss further with TfL.”
- Beckenham off-duty firefighter saved man's life when he suddenly stopped breathing at St Patrick's Day parade
- Car tax rules are changing this week and you could be paying more: Here's what you need to know
- Woman in critical condition following serious crash in Bexley
- 'Predatory paedophile' jailed for 21 years for raping boy and indecently assaulting three other children
- Terror fears cause drop in London tourist numbers, expert claims